Clicky

rlfsoso
Hi,

probably a stupid question, but how would I search for files WITHOUT an openmeta-based tag? Obviously confined to a certain folder/part of my HD…

Thanks a bunch,

Rolf

PS: thanks for the update(s)!
Rolf Schmolling

http://rolf_schmolling.macbay.de/
0 0
houdah
Hi!

There is actually no way of finding files with no tag.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
rlfsoso
Thanks for your reply, I am asking this because in Finder I could use "NOT tag:" " so I wonder how to get the same thing in HS.

Rolf
0 0
edo2909
Rolf,

It is easy:

"NONE of the following is true:"
"Tag" "contains:" *

Rgds
Edo
Edo's Corner
0 0
rlfsoso
Hi Edo, thanks, that's easy. makes a good Search-Template

regards, Rolf
0 0
fablarosa
This search works perfectly, but I guess I have found a small problem in HoudahSpot:
I have a folder where I use to archive some files after I tag them (mostly web stuff and documentation), so all files inside this folder are tagged.
Just to be sure, I have created a new search with HS to be sure that there are no untagged files into this folder but HS keeps telling me that I have some untagged files there; looking better I have found that these "untagged" files are all located inside a "bundle package" such as .rtfd or .oo3 (OmniOutliner3) files.
I suppose that this happens because HS also looks into bundles but even after I have manually tagged these files HS still lists them as untagged (indeed no openmeta tag appears in the "Tags" column that I have added to my "Archived and Untagged" search).
If you want to try just save on your Desktop a .rtfd file including some random text and an image, tag the .rtfd file and create an HS search like the one described above having just your Desktop folder in the "Where" section: you will notice that there are always two files (TXT.rtf and something.png or .jpg) listed as untagged in the results.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

What surprises me is that HoudahSpot lists files hosted inside packages. Normally Spotlight should not index the contents of packages. Thus it should remain invisible to HoudahSpot.

Here it lists only the RTFD, not the RTF or image file.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
fablarosa
I have now understood why HS is looking into some (but not all) bundle files: I use Dropbox to sync some files and folders among my Macs and when a package file of the kinds I mentioned above is synchronized by Dropbox to the other Macs HS starts to "see" its included files.
For example, I have a properly tagged rtfd file and I edit it with TextEdit on MacA; when Dropbox synchronizes the new version on MacB and MacD HS starts digging into the package file on MacB and MacD, but not on MacA.
I know that this could be also a Dropbox issue, but neither Spotlight or Leap look into the packages on MacB and MacD.
0 0