Clicky

mamema
Hi

should be simple, but it isn't
Location, where spotlight can find a file by filename should be searched for text content
- If i set only search for filecontent - nothing found
- If i set for file name * and filecontent with ALL true - nothing found
- If i set for file name * and filecontent with ANY true - found - but a lot other stuff i don't want to find

I just want to search a location where i do not know the filename, but the content.
didn't get to work at the moment

regards

Mat
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Sorry to hear you are having troubles.

Could you please post (or email to support) more details about the file you are searching for?

Could you please post screenshots of the 3 situations you describe?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
mamema
Hi,

see the attachments
i've included a snapshot from spotlight to show that spotlight is able to find the file
then i have added houdahspot snapshots with the described search parameters
Also you will find the file i'm searching for.

regards

Mat

Click image for larger version - Name: houdah-1.jpeg, Views: 7, Size: 50.39 KB Click image for larger version - Name: spotlight.jpeg, Views: 8, Size: 21.83 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Houda-2.jpeg, Views: 12, Size: 41.58 KB Click image for larger version - Name: houda-3.jpeg, Views: 12, Size: 43.81 KB Click image for larger version - Name: houda-4.jpeg, Views: 7, Size: 44.00 KB Click image for larger version - Name: houda-9.jpeg, Views: 6, Size: 85.75 KB
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Please try leaving the name field empty. HoudahSpot ignores all criteria for which you have not entered a value. There is no harm in leaving the empty field around.

Beste Grüsse,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
mamema
nothing changes
see attachment

Click image for larger version - Name: houda-7.jpeg, Views: 11, Size: 43.04 KB
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Spotlight delegates indexing to importer plugins. These importers are provided by the application vendors for the file formats they own.

There probably is no importer for *.prop files. Thus Spotlight cannot index the file's contents. It will only register the most basic properties: file name, date of modification, ...

Thus the search by text content cannot find the file. Where you to search for "country" using Apple's Spotlight interface, the file would not be found either.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
mamema
ah, okay
But this file is a text-based document. Isn't the importer indexing plugin based on file type eg. text instead of file extension?
Just used mdimport -d1 settings.prop and found out that no plugin was used.
So you're right. It's not a bug it's a (bad) feature from spotlight
Makes it kinda useless for me.

regards

Mat

0 0
houdah
Hi!

The importer is based on the file type as the system knows it. This is mostly determined by the file extension. The system will not look into the file and second-guess its type.

If you were to change the extension to .txt, the file would get indexed. Alternatively, you mac change the file's type to TEXT without changing the extenion, by typing the following at the command line in Terminal.app:
[CODE]SetFile -t TEXT settings.prop[/CODE]
The you may force Spotlight to index the file:
[CODE] mdimport -d1 settings.prop[/CODE]

Alternatively, you may try to edit /System/Library/Spotlight/RichText.mdimporter/Contents/Info.plist so that all *.prop files get indexed by the RichText importer.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
mamema
Thanks for your suggestions
The problem is, i just used settings.prop as proof of concept.
So, in the future i'm searching something else in another file which i not know now.
Therefor i need a solution which is flexible enough. I've just learned that it isn't spotlight.
I'm using freeware easyfind now until apple releases a spotlight which should search and find everything i want.

regards

Mat

0 0
houdah
Well, you could coerce Spotlight to do what you want by either:

- editing /System/Library/Spotlight/RichText.mdimporter/Contents/Info.plist so that the RichText importer takes care of your files.
- or creating your own importers for the desired file types
- or duplicating the RichText importer and replace its Info.plist with your own

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0