Clicky

Jono
I'm creating a search template to search certain document file types (e.g. .txt, .rtf, .doc, xls etc.)

If I select Content Kind is Document it will return quite a lot of file types I don't want to see (& that I don't consider document file types). For example it will return .jpg & .gif, .png & .bmp images, QuickTime movies, Windows icons (.ico) etc...

Does HoudahSpot consider these as documents, or is this a bug?

0 0
houdah
Hi!

The decision of what constitutes a document lies with Apple as well as with the owners of said document formats.

When indexing a file, a Spotlight importer provides a hierarchy of types it belongs to. The most specific entry in the hierarchy could say JPEG. One of the most vague entries is 'document'. The authors of the Spotlight importers are free to specify whatever they see fit.

In the present case, I however agree that image and movie files are documents. What else should they be?

If you want your search to be mor specific you can use multiple criteria: one for each content kind. Then combine these using an ANY operator.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Jono
Ah, thanks for explaining.

[QUOTE]In the present case, I however agree that image and movie files are documents. What else should they be?[/QUOTE]

Well if there's specific options to search individually for movies, images etc. then images would fall under the images category, movies under the movies category etc...
And (for me) text files would fall under the documents category.

Seems more straight forward to me than place all file types under documents.

Not to worry though, I'll just make a custom template to return only the (text) document types I want

0 0