Clicky

fwolfe
I am having a new problem when trying to search in HoudahSpot using Yosemite. I am now using Yosemite 10.1.9 and HoudahSpot 3.9.6.

I first noticed that HS was not responding to a search command in my templates. I noted that all of the tags (I use finder tags) were present. To be sure  I rebuilt the finder tags. It didn't help. But when I rebooted, everything worked. I have noted this behavior several time.

This morning it happened again and a rebuild solved the problem. Then it happened again. I noticed that a template I had used was working as I could change the search parameters, but a 2nd newly opened template was unresponsive regardless of what I typed in. A reboot fixes it, but closing HS and restarting does not help unless I reboot.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Fred Wolfe
0 0
houdah
Hi!

What do you mean by rebuilding finder tags? Did you have Spotlight re-index the drive?

How exactly was the second template unresponsive? Were you able to change criteria, but did not get search results?

It sounds like the Spotlight engine was no longer working.

Please check /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app for processes with names beginning with md (_m_eta_d_ata, i.e. Spotlight). Does any one of these use excessive resources?

Please check /Applications/Utilities/Console.app > All Messages for error messages from HoudahSpot or Spotlight.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
fwolfe
Here are the follow-up data you requested.

What do you mean by rebuilding finder tags? Did you have Spotlight re-index the drive?
Yes, I reindexed.

How exactly was the second template unresponsive? Were you able to change criteria, but did not get search results?
The template appeared and no matter what I entered into it no search results appeared. I tried to modify a "template that appeared to be responsive? but this time it was not responsive.

I went to the finder. It showed all the tags, but when I tried to search on one, no results appeared.

It sounds like the Spotlight engine was no longer working.

Please check /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app for processes with names beginning with md (_m_eta_d_ata, i.e. Spotlight). Does any one of these use excessive resources?

No excessive use, but there is the presence of multiple versions of mdworker and 2 versions of HoudahSpot worker.

Please check /Applications/Utilities/Console.app > All Messages for error messages from HoudahSpot or Spotlight.

Here is the report from Console:
"
12/2/14 6:12:41.266 AM Spotlight[251]: CoreAnimation: warning, deleted thread with uncommitted CATransaction; set CA_DEBUG_TRANSACTIONS=1 in environment to log backtraces.
0 0
fwolfe
And here is another report from the log just after I tried to search with HS:

12/2/14 6:58:47.922 AM mdworker[634]: code validation failed in the process of getting signing information: Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-67062 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -67062.)"

0 0
houdah
Hi!

It seems Spotlight is failing. Thus searches in HoudahSpot and Finder stop working.

Having several mdworker processes seems normal.
You should only have one HoudahSpot process and (maybe) one HoudahSpotHelper process.

The first console message is harmless.
The second one indicates a problem.

Unfortunately the OSStatus error codes are not all documented.
I could not find information on -67062

The message text seems to relate to code signing. You may have an application or Spotlight plug-in that was modified after being signed by its developer.

Searching the Internet for the message brings up various explanations and suggestions. At first glance, this seems most helpful: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6615545

I suggest you first try booting your Mac from the recovery partition and the use Disk Utility to first Repair Disk and then Repair Permissions.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
fwolfe
. I repaired permissions as suggested. We'll see what happens. Thanks for your prompt and helpful suggestions.

Fred Wolfe
0 0
fwolfe
1) Just to report: repairing permissions appears to have cured the problem.

2) Because HS worked where Finder didn't, I want to report the following. In Yosemite, some people have reported long delays or non-response with finder. I had used finder to add tags. What I noticed was very long delays (2 minutes), after which finder responded again. Console log reported Finder "stalled." It almost always happened. However, when I switched to adding tags using the HS tray, I has no problem at all. Apparently Apple is aware of this problem and is said to be working on it. But, for me, the problem doesn't exist if I use HoudahSpot. Thanks, Pierre, for your suggestions.

Fred
0 0