Clicky

drag00n
When I perform searches, my Library isn't included in the search.  The only what I can get results is to specify the exact folder location where I know the file exists.  Searching from a parent folder yields empty results.  I didn't see any similar complaints in the forums, so maybe I am just missing something obvious.

Thanks in advance,
_ryan
WithoutResults.png 
WithResults.png
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Spotlight excludes certain locations from indexing.

It normally wouldn't (or shouldn't) find files at these locations. Yet in recent versions of Mac OS X it does find files by name if you point it directly at the folder containing the file. This is probably a bug rather than a feature.

I am guessing that folder your are looking at is excluded from indexing (most of ~/Library is). I don't know of a good way to check this. Two not to bad ways to check on Spotlight indexing are:

1. Using mdls

- Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
- Type "mdls ". Without the quotes, but with the trailing space
- Drag the file to check into the Terminal window
- Hit Return
- mdls will output metadata for the file.

For a file indexed by Spotlight you should see quite a bit of information. For a file that is not indexed, you will only get information from the file system. I.e. all attributes listed will have names starting with kMDItemFS

2. Using mdimport

- Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
- Type "mdimport -d 4 ". Without the quotes, but with the trailing space
- Drag the file to check into the Terminal window
- Hit Return
- mdimport should import / reindex the file. It will report back if it did and list all attributes imported

If the location is excluded from indexing, the above command will not generate any output.

In past versions of Mac OS X it was possible to override exclusions by using "mdimport -f" to force indexing of a file. Unfortunately this no longer works. If Apple deemed fit to exclude a folder or file from indexing, there does not seem to be a way to overrule that decision.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0