Clicky

Houdah Software Forums

Author   Comment  
jeremyhx

Hey,

First, i'd like to point out this app is great.

One feature it seems to miss though is a way to send special keys to the iOS device (mostly volume and iTunes controls, maybe dictation if its possible), without having to use the menu each time.

Try setting the volume from the lowest to the highest setting as it is, its somewhat of a hassle.

Being able to configure shortcuts / use function keys for this is THE one feature it misses to get a five star review IMHO.

Any chance that could that be included in the next version, please?

Best,

Jeremy

houdah

Hi,

Please go to Type2Phone > Preferences and disable the "Use all F1, F2…" option.

Now the F-Keys will act as shortcuts to the consumer keys. I.e. F11 and F12 are used to control volume.

Depending on how your Mac is set up you may need to hold the fn key to access F-Keys.

You may also use the Keyboard system preferences pane to assign keyboard shortcuts to the existing menu items.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
jeremyhx

Thanks a lot for the quick and accurate answer Pierre!
The tooltip is a bit confusing, but that's exactly the feature I was looking for.

Best,

Jeremy

pgarrison

Hi,

I'm on 10.7.4, using a full-sized Apple USB keyboard connected to a macbook pro.

Regardless of whether the "Use all F1 ..." box is checked, the function keys aren't getting passed by Type2Phone to the connected iPhone - they are being interpreted on the Mac.  E.g. the F12 key brings up Dashboard. All the other keys are going to the iPhone, so I know I have the focus set correctly, and the phone is connected.

Any idea of what's going on?

Also - where are the "consumer" keys defined (e.g. F11/F12 are volume, etc.)?
houdah

Hi!

I actually don't know how to trigger these on a full sized keyboard. On a laptop keyboard you would use the fn key.

Since these are menu items, you may use System Preferences > Keyboard to assign keyboard shortcuts to the menu items.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

pgarrison

A full-sized keyboard has separate function keys (F1 through F15), no modifier needed. Pressing F11 on this keyboard should be equivalent to pressing the volume-down key while holding down the fn key on a laptop.

It's not clear why Type2Phone is either not seeing these keystrokes, or not passing them to the phone.

I did see them get passed through once, with "Use all F1 ..." disabled, while experimenting with it, but couldn't get it to happen again.

If you get a chance to try a full-sized keyboard, it would be great if you would give this a try.

Regarding my question about assigning of keys, I see where the "Show Dashboard" meaning of F12 is assigned (with fn key on laptop), but I don't see where the "Raise Volume" meaning is assigned (no fn key on laptop) - i.e. the meanings of what you're calling the consumer keys.

Thanks,
Phillip

houdah

Hi!

The function of each key is defined by iOS. I.e. if you were to connect your keyboard directly to the device, F12 would also "Raise Volume".

Type2Phone can only forward keystrokes that actually reach the application. If the Mac is configured to act upon the pressing of the F12 key, it will swallow that keystroke before Type2Phone gets to see it.

Best,

Pierre Bernard

pgarrison

I did a little further experimenting ...

F1-F8 are getting passed to Type2Phone, and then to my iPhone, but not F9-F15. I'm pretty sure I did see F11/12 getting passed through at one point, but now I can't reproduce it, so hard to be sure. Anyway, that was the source of the confusion.

Thanks for your help (and your great apps!).
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.