Clicky

rick260
I upgraded my OS to Catalina and continue to run Houdah Spot 4.4.2.

Prior to the upgrade to Catalina, Houdah spot was able to locate files on external volumes very quickly, now it slow, taking forever to locate any files.

I have attempt a spotlight reindex by using the System Preference\>Spotlight> Privacy method and through Terminal commands and performance has not improved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
0 0
rick260
Will upgrading to the latest version of howdah spot improve performance???
0 0
houdah
HoudahSpot 5 does include some optimizations. I encourage you to give the demo version a try.

What you are seeing however sounds more like a problem with the Spotlight index or yet another Catalina bug.

I don't see a performance problem with searching external drives on macOS Catalina. I do note however that when connecting an external drive to my Catalina test system, it starts updating the index. I imagine that Catalina is not fully compatible with older Spotlight indexes and thus rebuilds the index.

Do give Catalina the time to fully index the drive. Leave your Mac running (and awake) overnight with the drive connected. If possible avoid moving the external drive between machines with different versions of macOS.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
1 0
rick260
Understood and you are correct: after a day +  the performance has improved. thank you. 
0 0
rick260
houdahspot was returning quick results and then suddenly stop as if it was unsync'd??? what would cause this??
0 0
houdah
Is the drive always connected to the Mac running Catalina? Is the drive used by other versions of macOS or other operating systems?

I can't offer an explanation. It sounds like your Spotlight index is getting damaged. You may want to check your drive using Disk Utility.

You can also try erasing and rebuilding the Spotlight index using the following series of commands in /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app:

sudo mdutil -i off "/Volumes/NAME OF YOUR EXTERNAL DRIVE"
sudo mdutil -E "/Volumes/NAME OF YOUR EXTERNAL DRIVE"
sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/NAME OF YOUR EXTERNAL DRIVE"
The first command turns off Spotlight indexing on the volume named "NAME OF YOUR EXTERNAL DRIVE". The second erases the existing index. The third restarts indexing. 

These "sudo" commands require Administrator privileges. Copy-paste (and adjust for volume name) the first command to Terminal and press Return. You will be asked to type your Administrator password. Do so and press Return. Repeat with the other two commands. If done shortly after the first command you will not be asked again for the password.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
1 0