Clicky

scottr3
Hello;

I've been using HoudahGeo for a year or so on Snow Leopard without any problems. Today is my first time using it on Lion and I'm have some Smart Album weirdness.

My normal routine is to import photos into an Aperture Project titled 2011 and then sort the photos by month using a Smart Album criteria "Capture Month is November"

Next I would open HoudahGeo, select the the Aperture library and drag the new photos over to a new HoudahGeo project. Then select the track file, geocode the images, write the data to the images and allow HoudahGeo to notify Aperture.

In the past this method worked just fine. However, with all these new software updates to OSX, Aperture and HoudahGeo, I've run across one possible bug - after Houdah notifies Aperture of the geocoded images, the Smart Album is unable to sort images by some of the date options I use. "Capture Month is November" no longer works but, "Capture is in the last X days" still works fine.

As a workaround, I copied the images from the SD card to a folder on my desktop, then geocoded the images and then imported the images into Aperture. Using this method my "Capture Month is November" Smart Album worked just fine.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

That's an odd one.

I just tried this on a project of 815 images. 803 were correctly sorted into the smart album. The remaining 12 were missing. I cannot explain why.

But I do believe I found another workaround: select "Update from Master" from the contextual menu in Aperture. For me this sorted the missing images into the smart album.

Now the thing is that this duplicates the work of notifying Aperture. So you might just as well skip that operation in HoudahGeo.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
scottr3
Thanks for the reply. When I wrote the post I was a bit frustrated. I tried all the Aperture database and photo repairs I could think of and nothing solved the problem for me.

After sleeping on it and reading your reply I smacked my hand to forehead... Duh, if the old procedure doesn't work anymore then switch to the new one that does!

I was glad to see you could recreate the problem. Nothing I did could get my Smart Album working properly. So, my new process is to geocode first THEN import into Aperture.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

I am still not sure where Aperture is getting confused. To me the dates on the 803 photos that made it into the smart album look the same as those on the 12 remaining photos.

I did however not manage to find a date labelled "Capture Date" in the Aperture Metadata panels. I wonder if it stores some hidden date to use for filtering.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0