Clicky

LuMe96
Hi all,

I'm completely new to HoudahSpot and need some help.

First, could someone please explain the "contains fuzzy" logic ? Houdah defaults to this term for "text" and "any text" and shows a lot of results for documents as well as hyperlinks, emails a.s.o. that have nothing to do with the search criteria entered.
For example : Searching a "Text content" "contains fuzzy" pixmania finds PDF files not having pixmania anywhere in the document or the properties. Also, I can replace pixmania by pretty much anything (even weird stuff like yyxzxx), I still get exactly the same search results.

Second, to prevent this, I created a new template where I replaced the "contains fuzzy" by "contains word" which seems to works ok. I've saved that template and set it to be the default template.

However, when I start a BlitzSearch (with the default template or specifying my custom template) for, let's say, pixmania, I'm back with the same results not having much to do with the searched term. Having a look at the "query pane" I notice that :
- my search template is left empty, i.e. the term to be searched for is not inserted into my saved "What lines".
-and a new block of "What lines" is added with the search term, but than again with the "contains fuzzy" comparison.

I'm probably misunderstanding something here so I'd be grateful if someone could point me to the right direction because, as is, Houdah is pretty much of no use as it basically just lists the 1000 latest documents.

Thanks for your kind help.

Bye,
Lutz
0 0
houdah
Hi!

"Contains fuzzy" is the broadest way to match text. Searching for "pixmania" will match "pixmaniaOne" or "OnePixmania". 

If you search "Text content", this text should be found somewhere in the text body of the document. You may use HoudahSpot's "Text Preview" feature to see the actual text content of a document.

If you get matches where a document is matched, but you cannot find the match within the text, then something else is wrong. E.g. you may have used the "text content" criterion in an ANY group where another criterion is matching. Or you may have a corrupted Spotlight index.

Please send in a screenshot.

BlitzSearch adds criteria to your template. In the BitzSearch window you specify which ones: content, name, …

Your template may add other restrictions or customizations to the search. E.g. limit to Pages documents, add more columns, …

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
houdah
Sorry, my examples were bad. "contains word" would also match "pixmaniaOne" and "OnePixmania", but not "pixmaniaone", nor "onepixmania". The upper case letters make "one" and "pixmania" to be separate words.

0 0
LuMe96
Hi,

thanks for the fast reply.

Ok, I did a little screencast of what I'm talking about : see here

Quality is sh.., but I think good enough to get the idea. Also, at the end I did a little spotlight search to check and the results of Spotlight seem ok, so can't confirm that the Spotlight index is corrupted.

Thanks.

bye,
Lutz

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Your Spotlight search is different from the HoudahSpot search in that it searches only "Contenu" = "Text Content".

Your HoudahSpot search will search "Any Text". This is different from "Text Content". It also searches tags, comments, author, …

Please try searching for "Text Content" in HoudahSpot.

The matches are odd nonetheless. If you find time, I would recommend letting you Mac rebuild the Spotlight index. Just to be sure.

BTW, the "Text Preview" is available from the "Window" menu. It seems to be missing from the contextual menu.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
LuMe96
Hi,

ok, I've done the same with "Text Content" rather than "Any text" and the result is almost the same, actually even worse as I get 17 matches rather than 13, all of the false positives.

I'll do a spotlight re-indexing even though the spotlight results are fine and the Mac was freshly set up 2 days ago.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

You may try the following in Terminal.app:

[CODE]mdfind "kMDItemTextContent == '*xxxcrcerc*'cd"[/CODE]

This searches Spotlight for items whose text content contains "xxxcrcerc". I am pretty sure you will get the same false positives.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
LuMe96
Hi,
I close this thread as the pb was solved with the dev by private message. Seemed to be some corrupt spotlight indexing.

Thanks to Pierre (the dev) for having taken that much time to help me make HoudahSpot work.

Bye,
Lutz
0 0