Clicky

willfriedwald
the program starts - but then I can't see anything!  none of the search windows are visible - they just don't come up.  has anyone experienced this?

w

0 0
houdah
HI!

This problem may be caused by a corrupted Spotlight or by the installation of iLife '09. Apple has released an update for iLife which fixes the problem. If that doesn't help, I would suggest you try to rebuild the Spotlight index.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
willfriedwald
okay - how do I rebuild the spotlight index?  thanks!

I did install iLife a few weeks ago, around the same time I started using houdah, but so far have NOT had a problem with either.

thanks again

w

0 0
willfriedwald
hey!  here's what I did -

first, I had next to no room left on my start-up drive, so I moved a bunch of files off...

then I did a general software update - there was nothing specific to iLife..

but then I restarted and it seems to have worked!

hooray!

Not having houdah made me realize what an essential program it is and how dependent on it I have grown.

I hope that Steve Jobs buys you all out for a zillion trillion dollars and makes houdah a built in part of Mac OS 10.6 (which will be cheetah or pussycat or something..) !

w

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Glad to hear you fixed the problem.

Just in case: the [URL=http://support.apple.com/downloads/iLife_Media_Browser_Update]iLife Media Browser update is here[/URL].

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
willfriedwald
thanks!

I installed the update, but am not quite sure what it does - there is no single app called "iLife," right? It's just iWeb etc, 3 or 4 unrelated apps.

anyhow, thanks gain - am sure that this isn't really a question for Houdah support anyhow!

w

0 0
jabbermacy
Just search for and download 'maintenance 3.8' from Apple -- there's an option to rebuild spotlight index and a slew of other cleanup tasks!
Yeah, it's me alright
0 0
dbronson
I'm having the exact same problem.

I migrated HS 2.4.4 to a brand spankin new 24" iMac with 10.5.6 out of the box yesterday, and all was well. I'm deploying it as an archive of PDFs for our advertising department. The HD is separated into a boot partition (about 128gig) and an archive partition (about 800 gig,) and there's an 8-gig USB stick for another, separate section of this archive. The main user account is not an admin, and has parental controls active.

On day 1, HS worked, but not perfectly. No templates appeared in the templates menu. Working around it, I just stuck them in the dock. No problem.

Today, I shut down the machine, deploy it, call the advertising department in to show them how to search for ads, and nothing. HS launches, but no windows will open. Clicking on the templates does nothing. Trying to start a new search does nothing. Quite an embarrassment.

I tried the update suggested above, but my installed software is newer, so that install fails. I tried Maintenance 3.8 with all options checked - nothing. I tried manually rebuilding the spotlight index - nothing. I tried a reboot with pram-zap and Applejack on deep-clean, and nothing. My bag of tricks is empty.

Anyone got any more ideas?

0 0
dbronson
After posting (naturally) I found the following in another thread on this topic;

"Please try trashing the following 2 preferences files: com.houdah.HoudahSpot.plist and com.houdah.HoudahSpotHelper.plist"

This appears to have worked. I thought that bore explicitly stating somewhere for the next person who bashes his head against this.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Usually the symptom of "no window showing" is cured by rebuilding the Spotlight index.

Unfortunately, I still don't know what about a corrupted Spotlight index causes this behavior in HoudahSpot. I "hope" to some day witness this symptom first hand so I can debug it.

If symptoms return I would suggest you try rebuilding the Spotlight index using the third party tool "Spotless". This may also spot other problems with the Spotlight configuration.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
dbronson
In my case, rebuilding the spotlight index did nothing. Nuking those prefs files did the trick. If it recurs, I'll try the prefs file thing first, then the rebuild, and report back.
0 0
dbronson
Well, it happened again. This time, neither a rebuild nor prefs nuking have had any effect. HoudahSpot is effectively useless. If anyone has any further suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

What is the exact problem?
Does HoudahSpot fail to show a query window?

This usually indicates a corrupted Spotlight index and is solved by rebuilding the index. I recommend the SpotLess tool.

Unfortunately, the problem has never shown on my machine. Thus I never got a chance to see what exactly throws HoudahSpot off tracks.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
dbronson
Well, as I said, I tried re-indexing. That didn't work. I'll try doing it in nuclear fashion with Spotless, just to see. I'll also nuke the prefs mentioned above one more time. If none of this works, I'm perfectly willing to allow you to log in remotely and poke around if you like.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Remote debugging should be feasible. I'd gladly give it a try.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
dbronson
Excellent, I'll let you know once the latest bout of reindexing finishes. E.T.A. = about 5 hours.
0 0
dbronson
Interesting. It finished in much less than the stated 5 hours, which is not much of a surprise. What is a surprise is that using SpotLess to force a reindex worked, whereas simply using the privacy setting in System Prefs did not.

If this happens again, I'll contact you about a remote debug session before attempting a fix.
0 0
dbronson
It's happening again. If you're still interested in a remote session, I can let you in. email me privately;

dbronson [at] rny [dot] com
0 0
Jono
The same problem is happening to me. I re-indexed Spotlight and trashed the plist files. 

After this HoudahSpot started up fine, showing the default window. But after altering the Preferences to how I normally set them (the closing and restarting the app) the window won't open again. 

If I go File > New Search nothing happens (a window doesn't open). Same if I select a template from the menu bar. If I double click on a saved search in Finder it will open up fine though.

I hope there is a fix soon.
0 0
houdah
Hi Jono!

Usually this problem is caused by a corrupted Spotlight index. The most recent versions of HoudahSpot try to detect problems with the Spotlight engine and show an alert when trying to create a new search. Do you get to see that message?

If so, I would encourage you to force re-indexing using SpotLess.

If trashing the preferences helps, you most likely have a corrupted "Preferred Template". Try disabling that feature. If that helps, you will need to re-create your preferred template from scratch.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
Jono
Thanks Pierre, it seems the problem is with some of my templates. When I disable these HoudahSpot works OK.

I found that some templates with problems have 'Tag' as one of the search attributes. These are now called 'Tags' (with an S) in the latest version. Maybe that is the problem? Although strangely enough the same templates worked on 1 Mac but not another. Both running 10.6.2 and both using the same (latest) version of HoudahSpot.

*Also please change the verification method on the forum. I'm trying to submit this for the 7th time, and rarely get it correct on the 1st attempt. There are some nicer ones that ask simple questions (e.g. what's 2 +2?) rather than hard to read images
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The display name of the criterion should make no difference. What will cause a problem is a criterion using an attribute that is not available on the machine. The Tags attribute is owned by OpenMeta. I would suggest you re-install whichever OpenMeta application you are using and tagging at least one file. This way you make sure the attribute is known to Spotlight.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

P.S: There is nothing I can do about the captcha. The forums are outsourced to a company specializing in such services. I failed miserably at keeping spam out, back when I was hosting the forums myself.

0 0
Jono
I'm using updated versions of the OpenMeta app and rebuilt the searches. It seems OK now.
0 0