Clicky

foulgernz
That the Houdaspot icon remain in the menu-bar even when the app has quit (just like spotlight).  Would make it so much easier to launch rather that consciously having to go to the finder or to the dock.  Its so much spotlightlike that I think the menu-bar is the place for it.
0 0
houdah
Thanks for the feedback.

Having the icon always around is a feature I have considered, but so far decided to forgo. Such a feature would require a helper program to be permanently running.

I could see no distinct advantage of this solution over having the actual HoudahSpot application running at all times.

I welcome comment on this question and will gladly provide such feature if I hear frequent request or good arguments.

May I suggest you use the Accounts System Preferences pane to configure HoudahSpot to launch on login so that it is always available.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
jonsi
Hotkey is fine
0 0
CallMeDave
[QUOTE]Such a feature would require a helper program to be permanently running.[/QUOTE]

Now that 2.1 provides a global menu icon (with HoudahSpotHelper daemon) I notice that clicking on the Blitz Search icon de-selects whatever is the current active window. The active application is unchanged, but its frontmost window goes grey.

Clicking again on the icon to close its menu (without typing anything in the search field) does not restore the frontmost window to an active state.

No other menubar icon I have tried exhibits this behavior, and it's kind of icky.
0 0
houdah
Good catch!

This is one of the workarounds for the many bugs Leopard currently has with custom UI elements in menus. Such menus are new to Leopard and obviously not yet fully tested.

In short, to give the search field the focus, I need to bring HoudahSpotHelper to the front.

In practical use this should not be a problem. Usually you will in one way or another launch HoudahSpot which will anyway take focus from other applications.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0