Clicky

fwolfe
I came to HoudahSpot from Leap a few months ago. Leap has been my main search tool because it is fast and has a number of particularly good features. But, HoudahSpot is much more powerful and I like it very much. I want to make a few suggestions that I think might make HoudahSpot more desirable, particularly as the Leap authors do not seem to be supporting Leap any more.

1) Put a "Show query on and off button on the tool bar as an option.
2) In contrast to HoudahSpot, Leap has the ability to put saved searches on the tool bar. Particularly good is that these searches (what they call bookmarks) can be nested. I miss that very much.
3) It would be very nice if one could somehow see the available tags. Right, now you can only see a subset of tags.

HoudahSpot is a great program.

Thanks,

Fred Wolfe

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thank you for the feedback. I am definitely considering adding a toolbar button to show/hide the query pane.

HoudahSpot strongly relies on the concept of Templates. These can be ready-to-run searches and act much like smart folders. They can also be pre-configured searches that serve as starting points for somewhat repetitive searches. Templates are listed in the menus as well as in the HoudahSpot Tray. There is also an option to add shortcuts to templates.

I will have a look at what Leap does with their bookmarks. I am not familiar with Leap.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Jono
Yea, I also really like the ability to save searches in Leap (like bookmarks in Safari).

It would also be useful to show all tags or auto-complete tags when typing them in the tag search field. At the moment you have to know the tag exactly that you're searching for.
0 0
fwolfe
Another simple difference is this. Leap shows "location" for one of my files as "Documents.OmniGraffle." That's 21 characters.
HoudahSpot shows " /users/fwolfe/Documents/Omnigraffle/International Databank.graffle" That's 66 characters. It takes up too much space and repeats the file name that is already being displayed and "/users/fwolfe/" which is unnecessary.

Fred Wolfe
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thank you for the feature suggestion.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
Jono
Yea, it could show the ~ to show the location as in your user folder (e.g. ~/Documents, ~/Pictures etc.)
0 0
levelbest
Gentle Bump on this thread. I am still relatively new to HoudahSpot and a former Leap user. Yes please to the bookmark/saved search idea.
0 0
fablarosa
[QUOTE]                
08/13/11 at 10:10 PM

Hi!

Thank you for the feedback. I am definitely considering adding a toolbar button to show/hide the query pane.
[/QUOTE]

What about it?
It would be a simple but welcome addition.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

It's still on the list.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
DeepYogurt
I have a suggestion to add to Houdah - if you could add another criteria to the search options that you could specify the path containing some string. For example I was trying to find a certain plist file but only wanted the one in English, so the full path would contain the string "English.lproj" as part of it, but there were other items in between the plist file and this part of the path so couldn't look for the entire string. Hope that makes sense.

Really like having Houdah - it's quick and is powerful.

-Bob
0 0
houdah
Hi!

As much as I'd like to add a path search feature to HoudahSpot, it is currently impossible. Spotlight does not index file paths.

You may use the file path filter in the top right corner of the HoudahSpot window. This filters the current search results to show only files with a matching path.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
DeepYogurt
I've been using HoudahSpot for quite a while now and really want to thank you for creating such a useful and really great program. I use it constantly throughout the day and am so glad I found it - it has saved me hours and hours and hours of looking manually for things. Can't imagine life on a Mac without it.

One thing I've been doing a lot of lately requires knowing the version of apps in order to know what version of an app works and what version doesn't with what I'm working on, but HoudaSpot doesn't seem to know anything about the "version" info. You can find out with a "Get Info" from Finder, but would be very nice to have HoudahSpot be able to show this important bit of information if desired (like the 10 or so other attributes it can show like size and date created, etc). I keep several versions of apps around and being able to tell which version is which easily in HoudahSpot would help a lot.

Thanks again for such a great program.

-Bob
0 0
houdah
Hi!

You can add a column to list view.

Select View > Columns > More Columns…
Select "Version"

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
DeepYogurt
That's really great - oodles of things to choose from now! Has the "More Columns" choice been there a long time? I don't recall seeing it before, but my memory isn't the best ;-)

Thanks again...

0 0