Clicky

ML
I upgraded to v3 to try out the potentially very useful Tags feature. Unfortunately I *really* do not like the Houdaspot Tray. The Dock is bad enough but I find other things leaping out of the side of the screen irritating and distracting particularly as it is very easy to accidentally activate the tray which gets in the way. Having to press a modifier key in order to activate setting tags feels even more awkward.
Why can't the Tray at least auto size?. Why is the Tags feature not incorporated into the main HoudaSpot search window / menus and contextual menus? Why isn't there a system wide contextual menu item to add/remove/show file tags?
Above all my main concern with becoming reliant on HS Tags is how easy will it be for Apple to break this feature in some future OS release?

A few of other Tags points..
There also seems to be an issue where adding a tag to an old file (in this case a MIDI file circa 1998) caused it to change its Kind from MIDI Audio to Pipe ?!

Tagged PSD files seem to not show previously set tags in HS window but can still be found when searching for the Tag in HS.

It would be good if there was a Tags field option by default in the field type popup selection menu in the HS search window. Likewise adding a Tags column in to the default column types in the column contextul popup menu in the main HS window.

Re; Blitszsearch
When doing a search from the Blitzsearch menu Houdaspot opens the my default search window which it then does not use and a second search window which has my default setting plus a whole bunch of other stuff which it uses for the search. In other words I have 2 windows open when I do a Blitzsearch and Blitzsearch uses the wrong one. I asume this is a bug?

It would be very useful to have a search History popup in the Blitzseach menu with the default search terms being those of the last search made.

Having said all that I find HoudaSpot indespensible.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thank you for the feedback.

HoudahSpot's tagging features are based upon OpenMeta. Most tagging solutions use the same standard. I believe this makes it unlikely for Apple to go break it.

More importantly though, if you don't like the Tray, you may use another OpenMeta solution to do your tagging and still use HoudahSpot to do the searching.

Re: BlitzSearch

Yes that is a bug. Happens for some not for others. So far I have been unable to track it down.

A history feature indeed sounds like a good idea.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
ciara
I have to admit - i also find the tray irritating... plus (mind you i haven't read any instructions) - tried one of the options "lost lost files" and nothing happened -- i double clicked and my mac attempted to open some esoteric file in my Transmission app (which seems to be the app my MBP picks when it doesn't know what the file type is)... so i have no idea what those templates are for (frankly if i am supposed to drag and drop files to 'mark them' as long lost - well how would i know - until i found em? and since their Long Lost -- um... not likely to find em. )
i turned off the tray - but it just restarts every time i restart my mac.  so i had to actually go into prefs and turn it off there.. (the menu should keep it off).

mary lou

Mary Lou
http://ciara.smugmug.com/
http://community.webshots.com/user/ciara

Count your blessings not your woes...Count your friends not your foes; old Irish proverb
0 0
houdah
Hi!

"Long Lost Files" is not a tag but a template: a pre-configured search.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
Jono
Yea, I'm another one that doesn't like the tray. 

Punakea had it for a long time and one of the most common requests was to be able to select files and use a hotkey to invoke a tagging window (like it does now along with the Tags app). 

Most people I've come across that use tagging apps agree this is the best method. 
0 0
heliozoa
Hi Pierre,

I would like to second the "complaints" about the tray in its current state.
I really like HoudahSpot and try to use it more and more and I am especially very happy about the included tagging facility, but after a couple of weeks of using the new version I have to say the tray is more of a hindrance than a benefit.
I have the tray flying out quite a lot, but it is mostly accidentally and only very rarely by intention and this is usually quite annoying because I have to move the mouse out of the way and wait for it to close again, before I can continue with what I intended to do. Especially with using Mail it is a massive hindrance.

If you really want to stick with the tray, could you possible change its behaviour?  Do you know Barebones Yojimbo? This for example also has a tray for ingestion of items into Yojimbo, but this tray only opens if you drag something towards the edge of the screen, but never when you only approach the screen edge with the mouse pointer. Additionally it has a transparent flap protruding slightly into the screen, which opens the tray permanently on clicking. This is so far the best solution for a tray that I have seen and the only further improvement that I could think of right now would be the ability to configure the size and the position of this flap on the screen edge.
I have attached two screen shots of Yojimbo's tray (closed and open).

Additionally I would really love a solution like the one described by Jono, I mean a shortcut invokable tagging window at the current pointer position, maybe HUD style. I think the tagging should be available from within HoudahSpot's results window as well, maybe just a button to open a tagging window. It would be (closes to) perfect if this tagging window would be available via a system wide shortcut (as a service).

Best regards,

Norbert
Click image for larger version - Name: Bildschirmfoto_2010-07-29_um_14.02.33.png, Views: 12, Size: 8.06 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Bildschirmfoto_2010-07-29_um_14.02.51.png, Views: 15, Size: 92.72 KB
0 0
houdah
Hi Norbert!

I am all ears for feedback regarding the Tray. I have not yet decided what direction to take it in the future.

Unfortunately, your suggestion of opening the Tray only during a dragging operation won't cover all use cases. Currently the Tray may also be opened to start a search.

I have tested solutions with a transparent tab and particularly dislike them. The tab always manages to cover up an are I'd like to click on.

You may prevent accidental opening of the Tray by having it require a modifier key.

There already is a Service which may be invoked on file selections. It will open the Tray with the tagging window attached.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
heliozoa
Hi Pierre,

It seems my description lacked clarity. The Yojimbo tray only opens "automatically" on dragging items toward its active zone, but you can open it by clicking on the transparent flap as well. In the first case it opens and closes again after the operation is finished, in the second case it stays open until you close it with a second click on its flap. This way it would be possible to also use such functionality which doesn't involve dragged items. I absolutely agree with you that this transparent flap also can cover up other items on the screen, it is for sure still not the best possible solution. That is the reason why I would like the size and position of this flap to be configurable.

I have checked out your configuration suggestion with the modifier key, it is an improvement. Maybe you can combine this with opening without modifier key if items are dragged towards the screen edge? Another small thing that I would prefer is a different way of pinning the tray, just some small "switch" similar to the way menus are pinned in Aperture's full screen mode.

Aside from this I still would appreciate a tagging only window that is invokable via shortcut or button in HS's interface and which is not glued to the screen edge.

Best regards,

Norbert
0 0