Clicky

camner
I've searched the Tembo info on the Houdah site, and I'm a bit puzzled about how Tembo differs from HoudahSpot. 

Is there a quick way to characterize the difference(s)?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Tembo and HoudahSpot are indeed related. Their focus however is very much different.

HoudahSpot allows for building advanced queries against the Spotlight index. The basic idea being that you start out by feeding HoudahSpot all you know about the files you seek. This way you end up with a manageable list of results. HoudahSpot is really the tool to turn to when seeking a long lost file or when working with a large list of matches.

HoudahSpot has many advanced features: Text preview, copying of results to the pasteboard, AppleScript support, Find by examples, …
HoudahSpot 3 also added file tagging tools.

Tembo is much more limited in what it can do. It's approach is to take the user by the hand and guide him/her to the file she is looking for.

To this effect Tembo groups files into categories. For each category Tembo lists the ten most recent matches for the entered search string.
You may then drill down into any category. Here you will find filters specific to the current context.

I.e. rather than building a detailed query, Tembo will hand you 2500 search results in each category. Along with that you get the filters to trim the list.
E.g. in the "Messages" category you may filter by subject, sender or recipient.

Much more than a file search tool, Tembo is thus also a excellent tool for finding email messages, iChat transcripts, …

HoudahSpot and Tembo also differ in target audience.
Tembo targets the "average" user. HoudahSpot is used more advanced users.
Some may, of course, find both products useful for the respective tasks they excel at. Like I do.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
technocrat
I had the same question; thanks for explaining it here. It would be a really good idea to explain this at the point-of-sale. I'd have been unpleased to have bitten only to find that it was a subset of what I already had with Houdah Spot.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I wouldn't say that Tembo is a subset of HoudahSpot.

Technically it is not. It has been developed from scratch.

Tembo does have features HoudahSpot does not (and cannot have because of the widely different approach it takes to searching):

* grouped search results
* filters

BTW, you may find a demo version of Tembo at http://www.houdah.com/tembo/download.html  

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Ward
I've been using HoudahSpot since 2006. And the only time I use Spotlight or Finder's Find is on someone else's Mac.

I began using Tembo during beta test and kept on using it because I liked the Tembo's speed and simplicity ... until Tembo showed too many results. After that happened a few times, I found myself back with HoudahSpot.

A few minutes ago, my hands automatically pressed my Tembo keyboard shortcut. Since it was easy to type my query and press Enter, I got the answer I was seeking. And I'm happy to be back to Tembo!

To see if I can stick with Tembo for the bulk of my searching, I've created a QuicKeys shortcut that grabs Tembo's current search string, closes the Tembo window, switches to HoudahSpot, opens a New Search window, pastes Tembo's search value, and clicks the Return key.

Perhaps this will be the best of both Tembo and HoudahSpot ... until HoudahSpot morphs itself into Tembo Pro.

-- Ward
0 0