Clicky

mpb2000
When I match GPS coordinates to a photo and load it into iPhoto, it shows up on the "Places" map as a pin with identifying text (town, city, etc).  However, sometimes this text is incorrect.  For example, I took photos in the small town of Avon, NC and while the pins were in the correct locations, each photo had a label of Nags Head, which is about an hour north of Avon.  Is there any way in HoudahGeo (or iPhoto, or anywhere else) to change this text?  Another useful application of this would be if you took a bunch of photos near your home, iPhoto will pick the town/city you live in for all of these photos.  Could you change the text to read "Home" or the name of a restaurant or some other point of interest without changing the coordinates?  I have played with this in iPhoto.  If I change the location (text), it moves the pin location, thereby destroying your geotagging.  Help!?!
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The sources HoudahGeo has for reverse geocoding are not as good as the one Apple uses in iPhoto. Thus you are seeing results of inferior quality.

HoudahGeo 2.3 will feature a completely revamped iPhoto integration where reverse geocoding is left up to iPhoto.

You may download betas of HoudahGeo 2.3 from http://macdeveloper.net/

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
mpb2000
So, is HoudahGeo selecting the text that is displayed on the pins in iPhoto?  For my example of photos taken in Avon, NC, is HoudahGeo using the coordinates to incorrectly pick the text location of Nags Head?

Also, is there any way to manually change that "pin text?"  Say I wanted to label a friend's house as "John's" instead of whatever town the GPS coordinates indicate.  Is there a way to change that?

I guess the real question is where does iPhoto get the text it displays on the pins in "Places?"  Is there a way to use IPTC or XMP?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

In HoudahGeo 2.2.x, this text comes from reverse geocoding in HoudahGeo. You have the choice of reverse geocoding using Google Maps or geonames.org.

In HoudahGeo 2.3, it will be up to iPhoto to set those labels. I actually don't know if these can be edited in iPhoto.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
mpb2000
I did some more experimenting with my geotagging of photos taken in Avon, NC.  If I use the software that came with my GPS tracking device, all it does is tie the lat/long/alt to the photo.  When it is loaded into iPhoto, the pin is placed on the "Places" map and says "Nags Head."  If I go to google maps and enter the GPS coordinates of the photo, it returns Nags Head as the location.  However, if I type Avon, NC in google maps, it finds the town without a problem.  So, it appears that the reverse geocoding used by iPhoto, which uses google maps, is causing the problem. 

If I use HoudahGeo to do the reverse geocoding, and select google maps, the same thing happens; it chooses Nags Head as the "City."  If I use geo names, the "City" entry is correctly filled with Avon. 

If I then import this photo into iPhoto, iPhoto ignores the additional City, State, Country information added by HoudahGeo and again choses Nags Head as the pin text.

So, it looks like HoudahGeo is using the same inferior reverse geocoding only when google maps is used.  If you use geo names, you actually get better results than iPhoto, as you do not have a choice in the reverse geocoding source in iPhoto.

Another interesting note: I downloaded another geotagging program, GPSPhotoLinker, which allows you to chose from google maps, geo names, or Microsoft's TerraServer for reverse geocoding.  The Microsoft method is even better than geo names.  When I reverse geocode the same photo, the location is provided as "2 km south of Avon, NC."  It actually estimates the distance from the center of the nearest town, which is great for those photos that are taken off the beaten path.

From my research, it appears that Apple needs to do some work on their reverse geocoding techniques.  In addition, they need to have the option of making the pin text user definable and independent of GPS coordinates for situations when you just want to add your own text.
0 0