Clicky

icen
I am part of a volunteer group putting historical and botanical information onto our local County map. At the moment I have to individually enter the code to add data to the list that appears to the right of each picture in the GE output.  For example, Habitat Type; Acquisition No.; UK OS ref and so on.

Are you considering adding the ability to customise the template used for Google Earth output anytime soon?  I would be most grateful if you did and can imagine that I would not be alone.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

This feature is indeed planned.

The next release of HoudahGeo is expected to come early next week. I don't think the template feature will make the cut.

As currently planned, this feature will only allow for laying out data known to HoudahGeo. You seem to want to add additional information (Habitat, reference,…). How would you imagine for this to work?

As of now, you may use a text editor to edit the generated KML file to add data. This requires some knowledge of XML and HTML.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
icen
Hi Pierre,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
I must start by saying I am an amateur with no knowledge of coding.
I do wish to enter my own data and hoped that it could work by entering it at Export step in HoudahGeo in the way that I can currently enter Title, Direction and Description.
At the moment members of the group send me there own pictures geocoded and described in Picasa [most are PC users].
 I put them into HoudahGeo then add direction, change root caption, set size and export to GE.

Then in GE I insert extra data in the "Edit Placemark" window by copying some of the code that is already there. This has been a trial & error process as I don't know what the code means! I change the marker to an arrow to indicate the direction in which the picture was taken.
Attached is an example.
Best wishes
Mark

Click image for larger version - Name: Extended_placemark_v1.png, Views: 39, Size: 761.07 KB
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I will give this some thought. I currently don't see how to do this in a generic way.

The placemark code you are looking at is HTML. You should find tutorials helping you with this.

You don't need to manually set an arrow to show viewing direction. HoudahGeo does this for you. For this HoudahGeo needs to know the viewing direction. You will also need to disable thumbnail icons during Google Earth export.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
icen
Thanks,
I hadn't noticed that an arrow was the icon used if I entered a direction. One less thing to do.
I will follow up the HTML tutorials - lots to learn.
Mark
0 0
icen
Hi Pierre,
I have been editing the placemark generated with HoudahGeo in TextWrangler [copy and paste back and forth] and my kmz appears perfectly but when I move it to My Places or email it the picture has gone although the text is all still in place.  The email version is very much smaller than the HG one still on my desktop.[24.6KB rather than 131KB]
Sometimes I simply click on what was a good placemark and the picture has gone and is replaced by a [?].  
I can't work out what is happening and would be most grateful for advice.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Please make sure to recreate the KMZ archive after editing the KML within. Only the KMZ is self-contained in that it caries track log and image data.

I noticed a bug in Google Earth 5.1 beta where KMZs added to My Places would stop displaying images even though the KMZ is unaltered and doing fine.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
icen
Thanks for your quick reply. I don't understand your first sentence.  When I have edited the placemark I click OK.  Is there something else I should do? 
The code I am editing is in the image itself within the Image folder.
If the problem is a bug are the developers aware of it I wonder? Should I report it?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahGeo may write either KML or KMZ file. KMZ files have the advantage of being self-contained: they contain tracks, images and thumbnails. Thus they can easily be shared with friends and family.

KMZ files are actually ZIP archives. Rename the file to have a ZIP extension in order to uncompress it. After that you may edit the KML. Then you would recompress and rename the file.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
icen
Hi Pierre,
Thanks for your helpful replies and I think I understand what you are telling me but I simply can not get the image in a kmz to show up when it is saved or emailed.  If this is a bug as you suggest then it is a serious problem for all of us.  
Am I alone with the problem?
Is there no way forward?
Cheers,
Mark
0 0
houdah
Hi Mark!

Are you using Google Earth to modify the KMZ?

Does the original KMZ files as produced by HoudahGeo fail to show images after being emailed?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
icen
I have just tried a new one.
The newly created kmz that arrives on the desktop from HoudahGeo emails perfectly - it is 131 KB. 
From the email it opens in Temporary Places and still has its image.
I edit some text by getting info from the image file in GE and then I work in the 'Edit Placemark' window that appears.
I close that Edit Placemark window by clicking OK.
It then opens perfectly with my text edit in place.
I save to My Places and its fine.
I email the Placemark from the dropdown menu and it appears in Mail as a 23.9 KB file.

I realise that your app is working perfectly but I can not find any help anywhere.  Sorry to bother you.
Mark

0 0
icen
PS  If I close and reopen Google Earth none of the images show although the placemark appears OK
0 0
houdah
Hi!

"PS  If I close and reopen Google Earth none of the images show although the placemark appears OK"

That's the Google Earth 5.1 bug I have previously mentioned.

Actually, I believe the files size dropping - i.e. the disappearance of the images - is caused by the same bug.

I would suggest you try Google Earth 4.3 for this task. Of course that version was also a beta and has it's own share of bugs.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
icen
Thanks for that suggestion Pierre.
0 0