Clicky

AgingKeeper
I have a bunch of images that have been imported into Aperture.  The images are Canon RAW using file CR2 format.  While testing out Houdah Geo I found that when I load images the timestamps for some of the images is not correct but is instead the time of the Aperture import session.  So for example I have an image taken on 28 December 2012 and imported into Aperture on 6 January 2013.  When I load this image the timestamp recognized by Houdah Geo is 6 January 2013.  I have other photos that have not had this problem.

I am using Version 3.2.3 of Houdah Geo and version 3.4.3 of Aperture.

Do you have any thoughts??
0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahGeo relies on the timestamps included in the EXIF metadata.
Only when these are missing does it fall back onto file modification dates.

Please email me one of the affected images to support at houdah dot com.
If the file is too big for emailing, you could upload it to dropbox.com

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
AgingKeeper
Pierre,
Thanks very much for your prompt reply.

I am uploading two files to Dropbox, IMG_007.CR2 exhibits the problem and IMG_124.CR2 does not and has been Geocoded using Houdah Geo.  Both photos were imported by aperture at the same time from the same batch of photos.  

I have also included in this post a screen shot of the Aperture Window showing the EXIF info for IMG_007.CR2 and the date in this window is the date of the image.

The second screen shot I have included is of the Houdah Geo screen shot.  It shows the dates Houdah Geo is using (the version names are shown in this window, the aperture window screenshot shows the version names for these two photos).  It appears here that the date Houdah Geo is assuming is that of the Import session (note I have set Houdah Geo to Hawaiin Standard time to match the time stamps of the photos).

Not sure what I am missing but I appreciate your help! Click image for larger version - Name: ApertureScreenShot.png, Views: 10, Size: 613.58 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Houdah_Screen_Shot.png, Views: 9, Size: 356.15 KB
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I am currently on a very slow Internet connection. I was not yet able to download the full images. I just grabbed the metadata.
With that I get the following timestamps:

- IMG_0007 : 12/28/12 03:17:13 PM HST
- IMG_0125 : 01/02/12 08:24:35 PM HST

I don't know how Aperture can venture to claim HST timestamps seeing that the images include no time zone information.
Anyways the times are the same offset by 3 hours.

Please check your images directory for XMP sidecars.
HoudahGeo gives sidecars precedence over image files.

Did you drag images from the HoudahGeo media browser into the project?
Have you tried dragging them in from the Finder?

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
AgingKeeper
Pierre,
When importing the images into aperture you can alter the time zone - which I did for these collections because my camera is on MST and the GPS I used was in my phone which was set to HST when I arrived in HI.  Not sure if this is the correct thing to do or not.  I should probably find a good document describing the standard and understand what  is being put into these files. 

I do not have any XMP sidecars in the directory with these images. I am assuming they are separate files and not bundled into the CR2 file.

I dragged them from the media browser - and the timestamps come out perfectly (see attached screen shot).  Oddly enough IMG_007 which I had not Geocoded has a lat/lon when I load the image from the finder and IM_0124.CR2 does not even though the Aperture "version" loaded in from has a lat/lon.  I'll need to understand exactly what aperture is doing with my image files because I am now very confused.

Click image for larger version - Name: Screen_Shot_2013-01-10_at_5.07.17_PM.png, Views: 9, Size: 380.41 KB
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I will have to check what Aperture does when asked to update timestamps.

Most digital cameras record timestamps without a time zone.
Looking at the metadata, HoudahGeo will know it was taken at "3 PM". But it cannot know which 3 PM is meant: Hawaii, London, …
Hence the need to ask for the camera time zone.

The images files you sent me do not include a time zone.

GPS track logs are always in GMT. No matter what your GPS was set to display, the recorded GPX file needs to be in GMT to match the specification.
HoudahGeo never needs to ask for help figuring out timestamps in the track log.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
houdah
Hi!

I have downloaded your images and imported them into Aperture.

No matter how I modify the timestamps in Aperture, the one in HoudahGeo always remains correct: it is read out of the image file.

Geocoding done in Aperture is not written to the image files until you chose to save fresh files by exporting the images.
No other application will be able to see the latitude / longitude values which Aperture keeps in its database.

An XMP sidecar is a .xmp file which sits next to an image file and shares its name. It is used to store metadata without actually touching (and risking to damage) the original image file.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
AgingKeeper
Hi,
I re-famliarized myself with the Aperture manual and think I am starting to understand.  

As I re-learned Aperture imports the original image, which it calls the master, and then creates a "version" and all work is performed on the version(s) of the Master and the master is rarely if ever modified.

As far as time stamps are concerned I believe that Aperture does not change the time stamp on the Master during import but instead applies the changes to the version. This is supported by your comments.  If I load images from the Houdah Geo media browser I believe I am loading the versions not the image file and the timestamps on the versions do not appear to be getting imported correctly.  Not sure why the timestamps are getting messed up on only a portion of the images but I can alter my workflow to perform the geotagging from the finder and not aperture.  I suspect I am doing something wrong during the import.  I'll take notes when I do this in the future.

I believe I also understand better how to get the geocoding put into the Master.  Aperture will not let me update the master; however, if I want to create a new master with all changes (including the geocoding) I simply need to export the modified version.  

I think all this is pointing to a change to my workflow to geocode the original images, before importing into Aperture if at all possible.

Thanks very much for your efforts to assist me, I really do appreciate it!
0 0