Clicky

erau
Hello,
I just loaded up some pictures into Aperture and tried to work on them in HoudahGeo (I've been a user for years). When I imported the pictures, I noticed that the first 30 or so time stamps were correct, then things got screwy. At first I thought I had not done the Camera Time offset correctly, but that wasn't it at all. Finally, I downloaded my pictures from my camera directly onto a new folder on my desktop, then imported them straight into HG (i.e., no connection to Aperture whatsoever) and I still faced the same problem.

I then decided that I would try to hand edit them (a few hundred), but I found that either the timestamp would snap back to what it had been, or else some other picture close by would adopt the same time stamp I just put in. HG simply refuses to get it right.

What do I do?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I am sorry you are experiencing problems.

Hand editing timestamps should work fine. It does here using HoudahGeo 3.0.6 on Mac OS X Lion.

Which version of HoudahGeo are you running?
Which version of Mac OS X?

However hand editing should not be needed unless your camera got the timestamps wrong.

Could you try to import one of the images with an incorrect timestamp into a fresh HoudahGeo project? Does it still show an incorrect timestamp? If so, I would appreciate if you could email me the photo.

BTW, by default HoudahGeo orders the list of images by timestamp. Thus editing timestamps will cause the list to shift. I would suggest you first sort the list by file name before editing timestamps.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
erau
Thank you, Pierre!

I attach three photos as examples, P1030884, P1030885, and P1030886. Their timestamps in Aperture are 17:39:44 EST, 17:42:12 EST, and 17:42:37 EST, respectively. However, when I import them into HoudouGeo, they are all 17:36:13.

I should point out that EST (GMT -5:00) is the wrong time zone: the time in Mexico city is GMT -6:00. But the time's themselves are correct of the time zones. However, my GPS (a Garmin Colorado) stayed stuck on EST, so when I successfully import the pictures into HG, I will have to adjust the clock error to -3600 seconds (one hour) so that the GPS and the time stamps matched. However, keep in mind that: 1) that is a problem for later, and 2) it does not affect these pictures, since the GPS feature in my camera was on and I did not have my Garmin with me, so there is no Garmin GPS data to overwrite the cameras coordinates. I will use the Google Earth encoding feature in HG to fine tune as necessary.

As I noted, I tried to fix the timsstamps manually in HG, but it didn't work. The new timestamps either didn't "stick," they were copied to nearby pictures, or both. Also, a number of pictures adjacent in a series that I took (i.e., I took them close together in time) show up in HG as being taken at EXACTLY the same time, event though Aperture's metadata shows (correctly) that they were taken a few seconds apart. The three attachments are a case in point.

One feature request: is it possible to fix the clock error on imported GPS tracks? That is actuality my problem with this vacation: the camera clock was set correctly and the GPS was off by an hour.

Thank you!
Click image for larger version - Name: P1030885.jpg, Views: 7, Size: 1.26 MB Click image for larger version - Name: P1030884_(1).jpg, Views: 5, Size: 1.21 MB Click image for larger version - Name: P1030886.jpg, Views: 4, Size: 1.41 MB
0 0
erau
I should add, Pierre, that when I open HG and select the Project from my Library in Aperture, and list the thumbnails along with the brief bit of metadata that HG allows, that the time stamp that appears there IS CORRECT. Yet, when I drag those into the window as HG instructs ("Drag Images Here"), they import with the incorrect timestamps.

I hope that helps!

Best,
Erik
0 0
erau
One last point, Pierre! I just tried to manually adjust the timestamps in HG again, to no avail. I fixe the first, which works well, I fix the second, but then notice that the third has adopted the (new) timestamp of the first, and when I fixe the third, the first has adopted the (new) timestamp of the second.

Regardless of the outcome, I do not wish to fix by hand the 250 photographs I have taken on this trip. The point of purchasing HG was that I wouldn't have to!

Thank you!
0 0
houdah
Hi Erik!

1. The reason HoudahGeo shows incorrect timestamps is that there is an incorrect GPS Date/Time embedded in the files. Currently HoudahGeo gives that value precedence over the Date/Original value. I might have to rethink that. The interesting question for now is to figure out where that erroneous value comes from. Could be that it represents the last time your GPS had a fix.

2. If you feel at ease with the command line in Terminal.app, you could strip those values like so:

[CODE]cd /Users/pierre/Downloads
/Applications/HoudahGeo.app/Contents/Resources/exiftool -GPS:GPSDateStamp= -GPS:GPSTimeStamp= *.jpg [/CODE]

3. You could also try the latest beta of HoudahGeo which ignores the GPS Date/Time:

4. Editing dates works fine here. Could you do a screen recording showing the problem.? E.g. using Jing

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
erau
Pierre,

I’m sorry it has taken so long to respond. I’ve been very busy.

Here is the link of my screencast:

As you can see, I select three photos in Aperture with slightly different time stamps, but roughly the same location, within 15 meters of each other. When I open HG, they show up in the side tray along with the other photos from the trip with the same time stamps (however, the seconds do not show). However, when I import them into the drag window, they all show with the same (and incorrect) time stamp. When I try to change them, they adopt one another’s time stamp endlessly. They do not stick. In any event, I do not relish the thought of having to change several hundred photos by hand, especially in the comical situation you see here. I do not know how you manage to make the corrections “stick.” Mine never do, and Aperture does not adopt them in any event.

Your help is appreciated!
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thank you for the screencast. Fascinating bug.

I suspect it is triggered by the fact that you have the list sorted by timestamp. As you edit, HoudahGeo will need to reorder the list. While doing so it seems to get confused which line you were actually editing.

Have you tried the beta I posted above? This should fix the timestamp import issue.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

I have a new beta which should fix the timestamp editing bug: