Clicky

kbroderick
I usually process images as DNG files (ingested w/Image Ingester Pro and converted from CR2 to DNG via Adobe DNG Converter, with my normal IPTC template applied). Then, if I have a GPS tracklog to use, I'll apply geocoding to the images with HoudahGeo. With my Canon 20D, all goes well. With my Powershot G9, DNG files show the wrong date/time unless I manually set HoudahGeo to look at the images as if they're GMT-12 with a -3600 second offset. However, JPEG files from the G9 work as expected. I am using HoudahGeo 1.4.12 (1766).

In Adobe Bridge, the image timestamps for "Date Created" all appear as expected (even the JPEG and DNG that were captured seconds apart and show 5:18:33 p.m. and 8:19:07 a.m. in HoudahGeo).

I can email the images in question if you'd like, but I didn't want to send them without a request to do so (as they are large files).
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Please do email a sample image.

These days I had 2 customers email me DNGs for timestamp problems. Both times, they had incorrect time zone information embedded by Lightroom's DNG converter. Wonder if Adobe Bridge does the same.

Thing is, that once an image has time zone information embedded, this information takes precedence over camera time zone settings in HoudahGeo.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Stan
Hi Pierre,

I've just encountered this same problem using DNG-converted NEFs from the D300. In the interests of trying to get the problem solved, let me know if you need me to supply test images.

Stan
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The problem with DNG is that Adobe's DNG converter assumes that computer and camera are set to the same time zone. At the time of the conversion, it embeds the computer time zone into the images.

The only workaround is to abide Adobe's assumptions and make sure that at the time of import/conversion, your computer time zone matches the time zone used by the camera when shooting the pictures.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
Stan
This explanation doesn't seem to quite fit with my images. For the batch of photos for which I first encountered this, they were shot with the camera set at GMT+8, imported using Lightroom 1.4.1 on a MacBook Pro set at GMT+8, then converted in Lightroom 2.1 (when on GMT+10). The converted DNG files show the correct image times in Lightroom, but when placed in HoudahGeo they show as 10 hours ahead of the actual image time, regardless of the camera timezone I select in the HG import dialog. (e.g. image shot at 11:49:56 GMT+8, shows same after conversion to DNG, but shows as 21:49:56 irrespective of timezone used on import). Even more oddly, when I choose -36000 (10 hours) in the HG camera setup in an attempt to compensate for this, instead of the expected 10 hours offset I instead get the time 13:37:40 - very peculiar - it seems some strange things are going on behind the scenes.

My initial thought was that it looks like just a double timezone adjustment, with the second applied by HG on import, but now it seems more complicated.

Stan
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Please make sure you are running the latest version of HoudahGeo.

When a digital camera shoots a photo, it records time. It however does not know what time zone it is set too. Thus HoudahGeo cannot make sense of the time information unless you tell it which time zone was used.

When writing images HoudahGeo as well as other software embeds time zone information within the image file. Thus time information is then fully qualified. When HoudahGeo reads such an image, it will ignore the user provided time zone information and go with the one embedded in the file.

Trouble starts when the time zone information embedded in the file is wrong. That's the reason why you should not abuse the time offset feature to fake a time zone.

Now some Adobe software writes the computer's time zone to the DNG files it creates. When this assumption proves wrong you end up with corrupted files.

You may use the command line tool exiftool to inspect and fix your images.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
Stan
I was running 1.4.11/1677, and now updated to 1.4.13/1772, which seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks Pierre.

Stan
0 0
Stan
Hi Pierre,

On closer checking it appears I've still got the problem. Both DNG/JPEG images taken at GMT+8, showing in Lightroom 2.1 as the correct time. HG 1.4.13/1772 imports them and shows them as two hours ahead of time. My computer is still set to GMT+10.

Stan
0 0
houdah
Hi Stan,

Can you use exiftool to check the time and time zone information on the file?

You may also email me a sample file at support.houdahspot [at] houdah.com and I'll have a look.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
jasondore
I am having a similar issue, but my setup is even simpler.   I am using Canon raw files with .xmp side car files.   I have a picture taken in Florence at 8:14 local time.   I'd forgotten to set my camera clock, but as I bought it in the winter and live in the UK it happens to be set at GMT.   The camera was 15 seconds out, so I entered 15 seconds into the camera setup.

The .xmp file has the embedded stamp:
   <exifateTimeOriginal>2009-07-06T06:14:22.45+01:00</exifateTimeOriginal>
   <exifateTimeDigitized>2009-07-06T06:14:22.45+01:00</exifateTimeDigitized>

The mac lists the file as being modified at 6:14.

6:14 is the correct GMT time for this photo, as Italy is GMT+1 and we were in summer time.

My GPS track is shown, by HoudahGeo to stem from 6:12 to 6:15.  Presumably these are GMT (Zulu) times too.

(This is the simplest example from the holiday where I know exactly when I was where I was.)

HoudahGeo is set to display in GMT (in the top right corner of the app), camera setup is GMT. 

When I load this image it is listed with a timestamp of 5:14.  Somehow an hour correction is being applied.

Consequently, when geocoding, everything is shifted by an hour.

I can send the image and/or the .xmp sidecar and gps trail if that would help.

Thanks

Jason Dore

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Indeed all times shown by HoudahGeo obey the time zone selection in the top right corner of the project window. With that set to GMT, the track inspector will show start and end times as GMT too.

However, the 2009-07-06T06:14:22.45+01:00 timestamp must be read as 6:14 at GMT+1. Meaning: 5:14 at GMT. That is obviously wrong. Thus the question to ask is what software wrote that timestamp.

My number one suspect would be Adobe Bridge. I have seen Bridge assume camera time zone and computer time zone to match. Thus, if at the time of DNG conversion, your computer was set to GMT+1, Bridge would interpret the 6:14 timetstamp from the camera as being a GMT+1 timestamp. This would explain the time shift you are seeing.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
jasondore
Of course!  I'd forgotten about the +01:00.  These timestamps were, as you suspected, written by Adobe Bridge.    Presumably in future I should set my camera to the timezone that my mac will be using when I process the pictures - that's a disappointing Adobe bug.   Ideally Adobe would allow you to select the camera timezone when downloading pictures.

Setting a correction of -3545 seconds works a treat (3600 minus the 15 second correction I needed).

Thanks for your help,

Jase

0 0