Clicky

theKiwi
For photos that I geocode using HoudahGeo, my normal workflow is to take the photos, download to Computer, open HoudahGeo and tag them using track files from a GPS Tracker, then Import the images in to iPhoto

I've discovered in my iPhoto Library that I have quite a few hundreds of images that have no "Title" showing - it is in fact a string of 31 empty spaces in some cases, and a single empty space in other cases (this depends on what year I did them as far as I can tell).

Doing some digging in to this it seems like it is only on images that have been processed by HoudahGeo. Photos not processed through HoudahGeo show as the title their image file name.

Looking at these images in the Finder with "Get Info" I see a difference for geocoded photos and not geocoded photos.

For a geocoded photo, the "More Info" part of "Get Info" has two extra fields showing

Title:
Headline:

These fields are not present in the Get Info of photos not processed by HoudahGeo.

So when iPhoto imports these images, it takes this "Title" made up of 31 spaces and uses that for the image title.

The attached screen shot shows the Get Info for 2 images, one geocoded by HoudahGeo and I've highlighted the 31 blank spaces written in for the Title where as the one on the left doesn't even have a Title field.

Why is this happening?

I don't know for sure what versions of HoudahGeo did this - I'm usually up to date, and have images from March 2013 showing this as well as from June 2010

AND

It is not all photos geocoded by HoudahGeo - I have plenty of photos that did retain the filename as the Title when imported in to iPhoto - some I'm sure geocoded the same day as others that got the blank spaces even.

Any ideas on what is happening here and how I can be sure to prevent it?

Thanks

Roger

Screen_Shot_2013-10-03_at_7.21.23_AM.png
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I am not quite sure why this happened or which combinations of HoudahGeo and iPhoto did this.

I believe this was fixed in HoudahGeo 3.3: "HoudahGeo now tries to write metadata values to their preferred location only"
Often times the same metadata value has several places in metadata headers where it can be stored: XMP, EXIF, IPTC.
Older versions of HoudahGeo wrote values to all redundant fields.

I don't remember the details, but some versions of iPhoto reacted oddly to this.

Anyhow, if you want to be sure to leave fields untouched, you can uncheck them during EXIF/XMP export.
I.e. if you are not using HoudahGeo to update image titles, there is no need to have HoudahGeo write these values.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
theKiwi
Thanks Pierre

I don't see where on the Export metadata for x images sheet/dialogue that I can choose to not check Title.

What I do see checked on the software that last did this in March of 2013 (what would have been the current version then?) is

Coordinates
Altitude
City
Province/State
Country

Unchecked are

Direction
Speed
Timestamp (although I probably will check that to change the timestamp to the GPS recorded time)
Comment / Caption
Description / Headline
Keywords
Artist
Spotlight Comments.

So I don't have Description Headline checked but the processed images have a Headline of 31 blank spaces.

And Title isn't on that list specifically?

Roger
0 0
houdah
Hi!

That should be all good.
Description, headline and title should all refer to the same value.

I just checked past support messages. Turns out there was another problem with "31 empty spaces".
Seems some cameras write empty spaces for comments. iPhoto ignores those and choses to show the file name in place of the title.
HoudahGeo read those in, wrote them to all redundant fields causing iPhoto to no longer ignore them.

I believe the fix was in HoudahGeo 3.4.1. HoudahGeo now checks if a title or comment happens to have only white spaces.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0