Clicky

vkemppin
Hello,

I am trying to understand what is this track inspector good for. I get the tracks there but what else is it good for?

I tried to change the time information in the track to match my photos but this did not bring the desired results. I have troubles matching the .CR2 files with the track time. Pictures were shot in Washington DC, now the track time matches that but still no coding happens..

All help would be appreciated.

Regards,
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The track inspector is there to allow you to verify that the tracks have been imported and to make sure that the tracks span the timeframe which includes your photos.

The fields in the track inspector should not be editable. That's a bug!

If tracks and pictures don't match up, you have probably specified the wrong camera time zone. Please double-check that.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
PeterW
I too am confused by this. Let me ask a question by way of an example. I travel to London from the US. I carry my gps data logger and take a picture of a clock. I forgot to set my camera to London time and from looking at the .csv file, the gps logger has another time than my camera and it does not match the clock.

I can alter the timestamp listed in HoudahGeo by changing my camera settings, but I cannot see original data.

This is just an opinion. I don't care what the gps logger time is nor the in camera time. The gps logger produces a track-time combination. The camera only produces a time record. If I could match these two tracks together at one point, the remaining camera time points should fit the track-time combination by an identical offset. The current method of synchronizing the tracks seems very kludgy. To me, it makes much more sense to inspect the travel track and pick a photo that I know was taken at a certain point, be it at the start, end, or anywhere in between. Any photos taken during the matching time intervals should synchronize with that track. It seems silly to try to alter the camera time zone because I don't know what time is being matched to what. Am I trying to make the gps logger time match the camera time or vice versa? If it is a difference, then why not a simple difference adjustment of +12 to 0 to -12?

It seems to me my objective in this exercise is to find the location of the photos. If the times are incorrect, iPhoto alleges to adjust the time for the photo. This seems logical and sensible. However, that should be an independent operation from finding the location.

I would like to like this software, but …
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thanks for the feedback.

Actually, the operation is very easy. You just need to tell HoudahGeo which time zone your camera was set to. In your case, your camera was set to your home time zone. If you don't ever adjust that, you will actually be able to accept default values in HoudahGeo from now on forward.

The top right hand corner of the project window has a popup menu which allows you to switch the display between computer time zone, camera time zone and GMT. You may use whichever you like best. This is for display only and does not affect the geocoding process.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
vkemppin
Hello,

I have a bit of the same concern as PeterW.

I sometimes find myself traveling to countries with different timezones in the country (US, Australia and across Europe) and it is not that easy to remember always to change the camera time zone. So it might be off an hour every now and then.

Now think this from workflow perspective. Say we would load our pictures to a folder and geotag all of them at once before import to e.g. Lightroom.  Some of the pictures not be tagged. And since the timezone choise can be made only per project it would not be possible to tag all of the photos.

Situation is of course different should I first load the pictures to Lightroom and tag only per date (as I plan to do) that I have the photos store in folders accordingly.

Fixing the user error in the application would be rather nice.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thanks for the feedback.

Mixing several time zones in one project would probably make the code as well as the user interface overly complex. The user would have to specify time zone for each photo. Even if we come up with a more convenient way of doing so, it would be a tedious and repetitive task.

I actually suggest not adjusting the camera time zone. There is no harm in leaving it set to your home time zone.

If you nonetheless want to adjust the time zone on the road, you will need to create separate projects. Once your photos are geotagged and HoudahGeo has written fully qualified timestamps to EXIF, you may import them all into one project. The time zone information in the EXIF will take precedence over the settings in your HoudahGeo project. You may than publish your photos to Google Earth, Flickr or Locr from that joint project.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0