Clicky

silica
Since upgrading to Lion, the tray window has been acting erratically. Sometimes it appears and sometimes it doesn't. I've tried toggling it on and off via the preferences panel. Sometimes that works; sometimes it doesn't. Right now, for example, I've tried toggling it on and off several times, and it still will not appear.

Any idea what might be going on?

0 0
houdah
Hi!

The Tray belongs to the HoudahSpotHelper process. This is launched when you enable any of its features (Tray, global menu, hot keys) and is then installed as a login item.

If the Tray is not working, the reason may be that HoudahSpotHelper is not running. It may just not have been launched or it may have crashed.

Next time you experience the problem, please use /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app to see if HoudahSpotHelper is running.

Please also try searching /Applications/Utilities/Console.app for console messages or crash reports from HoudahSpotHelper.

Please verify in System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items that HoudahSpotHelper is set to launch on login.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
silica
Thank you for the reply. According to Activity Monitor, houdahspothelper is running. And it is set to run at login.

I found this message in console:
"Please update this scripting addition to supply a value for ThreadSafe for each event handler: "~/Library/ScriptingAdditions/RFAgentExtension.osax"

I should not that my "Home" drive is on a different volume than the startup volume since I installed a SSD. I searched and found there are two copies of the RFAgentExtension.osax, one on the startup drive library and one in the Home folder library, if this matters.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

A quick search seams to link RFAgentExtension to RoboForm. Please try removing RFAgentExtension from your system or updating it to the latest version.

ScriptingAdditions should not directly interfere with the Tray. They may however interfere with BlitzSearch.

I could imagine BlitzSearch stumbling over this an leaving HoudahSpotHelper in an odd state - unable to show the Tray.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
silica
Still no luck.

1. I deleted the RFAgentExtension
2. Activity monitor show the tray is loaded.
3. No longer any console error messages. Tray just doesn't appear.

Should I do a complete uninstall and reinstall of Houdahspot?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Please try quitting both HoudahSpot and HoudahSpotHelper and then trashing their preferences files com.houdah.HoudahSpot.plist and com.houdah.HoudahSpotHelper.plist

Maybe those went out of sync.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
silica
Thank you very much. That worked. The Tray is now working as it should. I appreciate your time in helping to work this out. 
0 0
gaseous1
I, too, have experienced HoudahSpotHelper freezing. I can still tag with it using the Services menu, but the window which slides in from the side of the screen doesn't appear. When this happens, I stop and restart HSH using the following AppleScript:

tell application "HoudahSpotHelper"

quit

end tell

delay 1

activate

end tell

I haven't experienced the corruption of preference files yet, so this method has worked well.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

What happens when you tag using the Services menu? Normally this is supposed to open the Tray window for tagging the file.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
fernst
[QUOTE=gaseous1]I, too, have experienced HoudahSpotHelper freezing. I can still tag with it using the Services menu, but the window which slides in from the side of the screen doesn't appear. When this happens, I stop and restart HSH using the following AppleScript:

quit

end tell

delay 1

activate

end tell

I haven't experienced the corruption of preference files yet, so this method has worked well.

[/QUOTE]

I have experienced the same problem (tray not showing) and the script (restarting HoudahSpotHelper) works for me, too.
fernst
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Does /Applications/Utilities/Console.app show any error messages from HoudahSpotHelper?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
fernst
[QUOTE=houdah]Hi!

Does /Applications/Utilities/Console.app show any error messages from HoudahSpotHelper?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

[/QUOTE]

Yes. I see many messages. Most of them are of the following two types (alternating -- don't know which one is first):

1. HoudahSpotHelper: _NXGetScreenRect: error getting display bounds (1001)

2. HoudahSpotHelper: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSGetDisplayBounds: Invalid display 0x0424f874

I also see, but only once, the following:

HoudahSpotHelper: KEVENT returned 1

HoudahSpotHelper: KEVENT filter is EVFILT_VNODE

HoudahSpotHelper: KEVENT flags are set

HoudahSpotHelper: UKKQueueFileDeletedNotification: /Users/myname/Library/Preferences/com.openmeta.shared.plist

There is also, but only a few times, this: 

HoudahSpotHelper: watcherThread started.

Finally, I also see (perhaps unrelated?) for a couple of times:

HoudahSpot: Property list invalid for format: 100 (property lists cannot contain objects of type 'CFURL')

fernst
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thanks for sending those in.

The first two messages sound interesting. HoudahSpotHelper indeed needs to look up screen size in order to size and place the Tray window. Seems like that is failing. Now I don't know how that can possibly happen.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
fablarosa
Same problem here with the tray window.
The odd thing is that I actually have Houdahspot in trial mode (planning to buy) on two Macs having exactly the same configuration and software installed but the tray problem occurs only on one of them. Moreover, I have copied the preferences files
com.houdah.HoudahSpot.plist
com.houdah.HoudahSpotHelper.plist
from the working Mac to the other, logged out and back in, but to no avail.
BTW I have checked everything I can and I am sure that HoudahspotHelper is in my login items and it indeed starts because I always get these two lines in my console log after I login
19/02/12 11:45:48,976 HoudahSpotHelper: Will reload HoudahSpot master preferences
19/02/12 11:45:49,543 HoudahSpotHelper: watcherThread started.
Quitting and relaunching the HoudahSpotHelper app with the applescript posted above does the trick, but it's just a workaround that doesn't fix the problem.
Most important: the Blitzsearch hotkey always works after I login, even when the tray is not showing up, but after I hit the Blitzsearch hotkey and the search filed appears then the HS tray starts working fine, it always pops up when I place the mouse to the left screen edge.
If I go to the HS preferences and change the tray position (say from left to right) then it stops working again, until I press the Blitzsearch hotkey or quit/relaunch the HS helper app.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

That is interesting information.

If the BlitzSearch hotkey is still working, we know that HoudahSpotHelper has not crashed.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
fablarosa
HoudahSpotHelper is indeed always there, it's just the tray refusing to show.
0 0