Clicky

rick260
I am connected to a remote volume and am unable obtain any search results with HoudahSpot.

I have re-indexed the volume but no luck.

- refinements: none
- location: is the volume i wish to search mounted on my desktop
- limits: none

i am not sure whats happening [frown]

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Spotlight indexing of remote volumes works only with certain ways of mounting the volume. E.g. through AFP. If the drive is connected to another Mac and that Mac is used to share the drive with the network, indexing should work.

I believe some implementations of SMB can also work. If memory serves, Apple has defined custom extensions to SMB that some vendors support and others don't. You will need to the vendor of your remote drive or NAS solution about Spotlight support.

Spotlight keeps indexes for remote volumes on your Mac. On some installs the folder where those indexes should be saved is missing. You will need then to create the folder for the index to be created.

To create the folder:

1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
2. Paste in the following:
sudo mkdir -p /private/var/db/Spotlight-V100/Volumes/
3. Press return. When asked, enter your administrator password

To check on indexing of your volume:

2. Paste in the following:
mdutil -s -a
3. Press return

The above will list all drives and their Spotlight indexing status.

To enable indexing of a volume:
2. Paste in the following (replace the name of your volume):
sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/name_of_your_volume"
3. Press return. When asked, enter your administrator password

Indexing will start in the background of the drive and file protocol are supported.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
levelbest

This is interesting, thank you. Although, there is something to add to this discussion.

I still open Leap on occasion as it is a similar application to HoudahSpot. I still prefer HoudahSpot and I am not suggesting that anyone leave HoudahSpot for Leap. However, there are still one or two things I can do in Leap that seem to be missed by HoudahSpot.

I notice that when I have an unmounted external drive with a running saved search (template), HoudahSpot and Leap behave in different ways. Neither one will produce results, or show errors, but the search results will remain empty.

In this example the search is set to an external volume that is not mounted. When I mount the external volume that contains the targeted files in the search, and the search is still running, Leap will suddenly populate the search as it has now found the mounted volume. When I do the same thing using HoudahSpot, nothing will happen. The search, though still running, will not suddenly populate the search results when the drive is mounted. With HoudahSpot I have to stop and restart the search before it can find the files that are on the newly mounted volume.

This means that, regardless of how an unmounted file is indexed and whether it may be available as per this discussion, which is a good idea that I will look at BTW, Leap can still pick up a missing external volume from a running search as soon as the external volume is mounted, HoudahSpot can’t. If the volume was missing when HoudahSpot started the search, the volume will remain missing until the volume is again mounted AND, HoudahSpot gets the search re-triggered.

On a side note concerning the other main observation I have as to what Leap does differently and better than HoudahSpot currently is set up to do, Leap can search within the found set displayed without having to reset your search parameters. HoudahSpot will do this only for certain search criterion, but not for others. For example, when I want to search through my search results to locate a file with a specific Finder comment, searching in the found set will instantly locate those matches. With HoudahSpot, I need to change the search criterion in the base level search, start the search over again, and include “find in Spotlight comments” before I can do this.

0 0
houdah
Thank you for the feedback.

Refreshing the search as drives are mounted sounds like a good idea. Noted.

HoudahSpot does offer filters. There however is no filter to search within Spotlight comments. I have noted the feature request.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
levelbest
"I have noted the feature request."

That would be great, thanks.
0 0