Clicky

mallured
I used to to be able to search on User-Mounted Remote Volumes and it would search our NAS drives. Doesn't seem to work in v. 4. If I go back to v. 3, it works. Also, I would like to pick only one of the three remote volumes, how would I do that?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

You can specify individual folders or drives to search using the "Other…" item at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
You can use the "+" button to add more locations.

If you find yourself frequently searching the same locations, you can set these to be included in all new searches.
Set up the search and then use File > Save as Default.

Apple has made changes to how Spotlight searches network drives. They broke searching for some NAS devices.
I know specifically of the "Synology Ds214+". We have reported this as a bug to Apple.

Applications build for older versions of OS X still get the correct behavior even when run on a newer OS.
Applications specifically made for OS X 10.10 can only get the new behavior.

The vendor of your NAS may know more about this or have a fix.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
mallured
Thanks for the reply. We do use a Synology NAS, model DS411slim. Guess I will have to use Houdah 3 until Synology and Apple get their act together. BTW, I am trying to find all the .ds_store files within a particular folder. I can't seem to find a schema that performs the find. I have tried setting kind:invisible Yes, but nothing is found. Is this another spotlight problem?

Mike
0 0
mallured
By the way, I can do a Spotlight search on the file names on the Synology NAS drive and it will come up with results so I would think that HoudaSpot would have the same ability. Or is it that Apple crippled it for other search engines?

Best -- Mike
0 0
houdah
Mike,

Under OS X there are several ways of marking a file as being invisible. Files made invisible using the UNIX convention of prefixing the file name with a period are also skipped by Spotlight. Hence Spotlight and HoudahSpot are not the right tools to find .DS_Store files. You need to drop down to a lower level tool. E.g. "find" at the command line.

Let's assume your NAS is mounted in Finder and named NAS. That would put it a the following path: /Volumes/NAS
Try the following – replace NAS with that actual name of your drive.

1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
2. Type:
ls "/Volumes/NAS"
3. Hit Return. If you have the drive name correct, Terminal will show a list of files at the root of the drive
4. Type:
find "/Volumes/NAS" -name ".DS_Store"
3. Hit Return. The Terminal will start searching the drive and list found files. This takes time.

I have seen the Spotlight resort to doing a search by name when the index is missing. This appears to be a rather random occurrence. It appears to happen only if you specifically point it to a single folder that is excluded from indexing.

In HoudahSpot, try a search by "filename" only. The default search by "Name" searches "Display Name" and "Alternate Display Names". These are derived names created by Spotlight. These values only exist for indexed files.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
mallured
"In HoudahSpot, try a search by "filename" only."

That worked, thanks. I will try the terminal suggestion to find the .ds_store files.

I appreciate your time and help.

Mike
0 0
Flint
Yesterday I bought HoudahSpot for searching my Nas and local drives fast and simultaneously.
Program looks super, but it does not find anything on my Synology NAS.
Is this (still) normal with version 4 or do I do something wrong?
0 0
houdah
Hi,

For HoudahSpot to be able to search a NAS drive, it needs to be indexed by Spotlight.
This is automatic for drives shared by a remote Mac. It is not automatic for standalone NAS drives.

If you have a Unix server, you can check out Netatalk for Spotlight-enabled AFP sharing.

You can use the command line tool mdutil to force your Mac to index a remote NAS. You may need to use the mdimport command to actually start the indexing process.

With more than one client using the NAS, additional work is needed (on your part) for your Mac to be notified of and index changes made to the NAS by other machines. I don't actually have a recommendation on how to set this up. 

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0