Clicky

georgej
Having trouble figuring out why my Garmin GPS works fine with HoudahGeo sometimes... and fails other times. Narrowed it down to something to do with the way the tracks are saved, and was wondering if anyone can help or steer me to a good place to understand this problem.

When DON'T fill the RAM based track, and plug the unit into the computer, HoudahGeo finds the data, and syncs it up to the photos datetime stamps just fine.

When I SAVE the track (because the RAM-based track fills up in just a few hours of usage) and then try to sync with images in HoudahGeo, nothing seems to sync up. 

Taking a look at the .gpx tracks, I found that the "Active Log" puts a timestamp in that looks like this:

<trk>
  <name>ACTIVE LOG</name>
<trkseg>
<trkpt lat="39.702845067" lon="-104.933682662">
  <ele>1645.914551</ele>
  <time>2011-08-17T23:36:40Z</time>
</trkpt>

But for some reason, the saved tracks don't. They look like this:

<trk>
  <name>17-AUG-11</name>
<trkseg>
<trkpt lat="39.702678267" lon="-104.933577469">
  <ele>1646.395264</ele>
</trkpt>

I understand that this is probably more of a Garmin question, but their forums are hopeless.

Thanks in advance for any direction.
George

George Jardine
0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahGeo needs the timestamp to sync photos to the track.
When you load a track log with no timestamps you should get a warning from HoudahGeo.

My old Garmin eTrex used to have this very same problem. I had hoped Garmin had fixed this issue since. It seems quite illogical to trash some of the information just as the user requests for data to be saved.

On the eTrex there was no option to disable this behavior. I don't have any newer Garmin device to check.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
georgej
Garmin tech support confirms:

"Unfortunately, that is the normal operation of that unit. When the
Active log is saved as an Active Track, the track will be filtered so
it's under 500 track points and the timestamp data is lost. If you
absolutely need the time stamp data, you'll need to just use the active
log."
George Jardine
0 0
mta
I don't think it's mentioned in the manual (at least not in the one I have) but you can have the 60CSx save tracks directly to the data card, if you have one installed.  In the tracks setup page there is a "Data Card Setup" button which leads to a page that gives you the option to "Log track to data card".  The tracks logged this way have time stamps and work with HougahGeo, I've been using them for several years.
0 0
georgej
mta....

yeah... that seemed like the next obvious thing to check. But I was preparing for a trip to Venice, and wanted to use the one microSD slot for the European street maps. So that precluded me from using the one slot for saving to data card.
George Jardine
0 0