Clicky

mmckown
I have about 10,000 photos from a recent trip (taken by 20 different people) which I have synced the timestamp on.  Unfortunately, only 2000 of these have geotags written into the file (these were taken on a Nikon P6000).  Is there any way to use the gps info from the Nikon photos to create a track file or waypoint file that I can then use to automate the tagging of everything else?  Many of the photos were taken within seconds of each other and the group was just about always together--tons of almost duplicates....  I seem to be close with some of the export options but cannot seem to get it to work.  Or can the program use the geotags that are there in the list and work with those as if they were from a gps coordinate file?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I never considered this kind of situation. So I am not really sure.

You may want to try to load only the geocoded images into a project and then "Export GPX Waypoints…"

In another project you should then be able to load the resulting GPX file as well as the images that still need geotagging.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
waldemar
I had the exact same issue.  I couldn't find a program to do it, so I wrote a perl script that calls the ExifTool and GPX libraries and summarizes a directory of images into a GPX track.

Now that camera-based loggers are becoming more common, this will be a commonly requested feature.  Camera-based loggers don't always see the satellites the moment a photo is taken, so inevitably some photos will end up with missing coordinates.  It's useful to be able to use nearby photos to fill in that information.

0 0
KiltBear
This is exactly the type of thing I came here to request. Imagine this scenario...

I go out on a photo shoot. I use my iPhone to take "reference" photos that have GPS information. I then proceed to take photos with my other "better" digital cameras.

I get to my computer, I download the photos from the camera and the iPhone into the same directory. I know want to use the GPS info from the "reference" photos from my iPhone to tag the appropriate photos from my Leica and Lumix camera.

The biggest advantage is longer battery life on the iPhone without running a GPS mapping application all the time.

Though of course... I could pause and start the GPS software... Hmmm, I might have just found a work-around, but I still like the idea of using a snapshot of an item from the iPhone as a way to drive the geocoding of the higher quality shots.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

I would suggest you import both your reference photos and your quality photos into a HoudahGeo project.

Assuming the clocks are set correctly. The quality photos should be listed right after the reference photo to which you want to match them. Using the copy/paste coordinates commands from the Geocode menu, you may copy down coordinates from each reference photo to the quality photos below.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
KiltBear
Thanks for the workflow tip!
0 0