Clicky

HenryAZ
Thanks for your wonderful product.  I just have a question.

It seems to me our options for text searching are more limited in version 4.0.

Using the search attributes "Text Content" or "Any Text", we have only four choices:

contains prefixes
contains words
contains phrase
contains all

Which of those four would find the bolded text "aps" in the word encapsulation ??

Instead of "contains all", version 3.x offered us "contains any", which was more flexible.  Could we get that added back in, perhaps in addition to "contains all"?

However, what would really improve the product would be to have an attribute option of "regular expression" for text searches.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

The options are the same as in HoudahSpot 3. The naming in HoudahSpot 3 lead to confusion

Both "contains phrase" and "contains all" will match "aps" to "encapsulation". "contains words" and "contains prefixes" will not match "aps" to "encapsulation" since "aps" is only a partial word and not the beginning of "encapsulation".

"contains phrase" searches for the exact text you enter.

"contains all" lets you specify several pieces of text to match. These are separated by a space. E.g. you can type "aps ion". This would match "encapsulation" since this includes both "aps" and "ion". If you had entered "aps iop", the search would not match "encapsulation" since this includes only "aps" and not "iop"

"contains all" is a shorthand for:

"All of the following is true"
- "text content" "contains phrase" "aps"
- "text content" "contains phrase" "ion"

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
HenryAZ

Thanks for the quick reply, and that clears things up very well for me.

I suppose building a regex engine into the search would add quite a bit of overhead?

0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahSpot builds upon Spotlight. There is no way to pass down regular expressions for evaluation against the Spotlight index.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0