Clicky

DonL
Just upgraded to the latest version of HoudahGeo yesterday and saw the link directly to EveryTrail. So I thought I'd try it out by taking my images into HoudahGeo first ( I normally download images to iPhoto first). After geocoding my images directly to the original file, I could not get iPhoto to import them - strange. Back in HoudahGeo, I cleared the location info, and rewrote the blanks back to the exif of the originals. now iPhoto will take the images. I've never had a problem downloading to iPhoto first, then using HoudahGeo to geocode the originals back to iPhoto. I always have to rescan for location, but that is not too much of an issue. I've read enough posts here that it appears that most users geocode first then import the images into iphoto. What could I be doing wrong that iPhoto does not take my geocoded images?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I have never had reports of iPhoto refusing an image file. I currently have no clue as to why that might happen.

Did iPhoto give you an error message?

Could you email me a sample file to test with?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
DonL
Just tried a test case with two photos and a short gpx file and could not get the problem to repeat. I had an error trying to upload to EverTrail.com, but you are aware of that issue after I sent an email yesterday. I then imported the geotagged photos into iPhoto 11 without a problem. If I see this again, I'll forward the gpx, pics, and hgeo files.

Now what are the advantages of geocoding first rather than importing to iPhoto first. Or does it really matter? I know iPhoto doesn't write data to the file until you export, but I trust their database to keep up with the lat/long data. And I still "fine tune" the location in iphoto if I forgot to give a seconds correction when loading the photos into HG. It's my understanding that this "iphoto fine tuned location" is what gets written to an exported file instead of the HG written data.
0 0
houdah
Hi Don!

The main advantage of geocoding prior to ingesting is speed. HoudahGeo will not need to notify iPhoto of updated metadata.

I sent you a link to the latest HoudahGeo 2.7 beta. This should fix the issue with EveryTrail.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
DonL
So I guess the best workflow would be to geocode the photos while they are still on the SD card, then import into iPhoto. That would save the steps of downloading from the SD card to your HD, geocoding with HG, importing into iPhoto, then deleting the images on your HD where you temporarily stored them prior to geocoding. That was a run-on sentence!
0 0