Clicky

Houdah Software Forums

Author   Comment  
templogin

I would like to download and register HoudahGeo, but I am having difficulty finding a data logger that fits the following criteria: -

- works with a Mac using OSX
- doesn't need a driver
- runs on AA or AAA batteries
- has a removable memory card
- connects using USB

I am willing to modify my criteria, if I absolutely have to: -

- works with a Mac using OSX
- doesn't need a driver
- runs on removable batteries
- connects using USB

Thanks

Andy
Shetland, UK
houdah

Hi!

I use the Wintec WBT-202. That unfortunately has been discontinued. This:

- works as USB Mass Storage Device: i.e. is seen as a hard disk / pen drive without need for an extra driver
- has a file format supported by GPSBabel, HoudahGPS and HoudahGeo
- has a custom removable battery
- has a removable memory card

Wintec Germany recommends the Columbus V-990 as a replacement. I am not sure if this uses the same file format as the V-900.

It seems the Canmore G-Porter GP-102+ data logger is also a good alternative. It seems to lack the removable battery and memory card.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
templogin

Thanks Pierre

I have just bought a Columbus V990 from a German vendor on eBay.  It gets a good review and at least fits some of the criteria that I wanted.  I will carry a small powerbank to charge it with.  I will also try it on spy mode as a fix every 10 minutes should be fine for me.  I can always press the waypoint button when I want to take some photos.

Thanks again for your help.

Andy
Shetland
60D

I bought a Sony GPS-CS3KA device back in mid-2011. It still seems to be available on Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-GPS-CS3KA-Digital-Imaging-Accessory/dp/B001PO5VV8 But stocks are probably extremely limited.

It takes a single AA battery, and their advertised life of the battery at ~15 hours seems to be quite valid. I typically start with a fresh battery each day, as it has no alarm function when the battery runs low.

Good things:

It logs reasonably frequently - every 15 seconds, IIRC.
It stores plenty of data (100MB?) - enough for months of logs.
Time zone selection is easy; can do down to 15 minute adjustments.
Good battery life
Replaceable AA battery.
Several display modes are useful for various needs.

Bad things:

Startup acquisition of GPS signal is long - often several minutes. No audible indication of lock-on. Frustrating start to your day. (It seems to be picky (needing strong signal), but once it does lock on, it seems to be somewhat forgiving about signal strength.)
No audible indication of loss of GPS lock.
The display is totally unusable unless you hit a button to activate the backlight.
No alarm on low battery.

Unsure things:

It's supposed to be able to apply geotagging information to the EXIF information on JPG files on an inserted SD card, but there is no way I would trust my precious photos to that process. I just use it as a logger and merge the information using HoudaGeo.

Frankly, I'd love it if one of those GPS-based fitness trackers could be used with HoudaGeo, but I don't know if that's practical.
houdah

HoudahGeo reads track logs in GPX (preferred), NMEA, and other file formats. If the software the comes with your fitness tracker is able to export a track log with timestamps as GPX file, you should be good to go. On paper. No idea how often fitness trackers log, etc. 

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.