Clicky

kph777
I just switched to Aperture for photo management.  I keep a large set of photos on a networked Windows Home Server with disk mirroring.  It is mounted on startup on my iMac.  I had been using Windows Expression Media 2 to manage them, but it is time to move to something more supported.

I am wrestling with Geotagging workflow from Aperture with Referenced images on a network drive.  I tried Houdahgeo 3.0.3, but it has the same problems I have had with past software versions (I have an old license from a bundle). 

Here is a use case that is failing.  I have two images that are in the same place.  One has a Geotag in its EXIF data, the other doesn't (different camera).  I bring both into the image pane in HoudahGeo.  I copy the Geotag info from the one with it, to the one without.  I select the one that needs to have the EXIF data updated.  I select Output->EXIF/XMP Export... and choose "Tag Master/Original".  I check the original file with other EXIF tools, and the tag isn't there.  (I used to use Geotagger, and if I try this route, it continues to work like a charm.)

I would be happy to buy an upgrade to HoudahGeo 3.0, as it seems nicely integrated with Aperture.  But why do EXIF data fields not get written for a networked file?  I want to tag my originals, as I do not want to be tied to a tool's database (e.g. Aperture) for data like location.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahGeo should work fine with photos referenced from Aperture. I have however had no opportunity yet to test with networked drives.

Could you try copying one of your images to a local drive?

I will try a networked setup soon.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
kph777
I loaded a photo in the main Pictures directory on my Mac HD into Aperture as a referenced photo. Geotagged in via the Google Earth option in HoudahGeo, and wrote out the EXIF data to the master.  Worked just fine.  The location showed up in Aperture when I refreshed the photo from the Master, and my path to peer at the photo confirmed that the Lat/Long EXIF fields were written.

I did take another examine on the copy in the networked drive and confirmed that there are no Lat/Long EXIF tags on that photo. 

When I select "Locate Referenced Files" in Aperture, it has a separate column for Volume, which correctly notes the mounted network drive (called "Photos" in my case) with the path name to the photo within that volume. 

Let me know if your testing confirms!

Thanks,
Ken

0 0
houdah
Hi!

When you add an image to a HoudahGeo 3 project, HoudahGeo stores the image's preview and master path. The preview image is used for publishing. During EXIF/XMP export you get the option of tagging either the preview or the master image file.

The problem is that HoudahGeo fails to look up the master path for images referenced from a remote file server. It thus uses the same path for both master and preview. Hence it will tag the preview file even when you check the "Tag Masters/Originals" option.

The technical explanation: Aperture stores an ID for the volume where the image is located. HoudahGeo derives a file path from that ID. This works only for local volumes. I spent all day looking for a way to perform this operation for remote disks, but have found none.

As a workaround, you could drag the images from the Finder into HoudahGeo. HoudahGeo would then only reference the master files. This is actually all that is needed for EXIF/XMP tagging.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0