Clicky

Ward
HoudahSpot Preferences > Helper enables a global hot key to bring HoudahSpot to the front (and open a new window, if needed). But this hot key works only if HoudahSpot is running.

Adding HoudahSpot to Login Items ensures it's always available ... unless its been Quit (accidentally or intentionally). But it makes login even slower than it already is.

Having HoudahSpot in the Services menu (a la Tembo) would enable a global hot key whether or not HoudahSpot is running.

-- Ward
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Setting a global shortcut in HoudahSpot will add HoudahSpotHelper to the login items. This works in the background to activate HoudahSpot when the shortcut is pressed.

Thus HoudahSpot need not be running for the shortcut to work.

That said, I have added your request to the ToDo list for the next HoudahSpot update.

BTW, HoudahSpot may also be launched from AppleScript. You may use the third party FastScripts to activate an Apple Script using a hot key. FastScripts is free for the first 10 shortcuts.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Ward
Thanks, Pierre, for your speedy response.

When I checked my Login Items, HoudahSpotHelper was indeed there. But it hasn't been working for quite some time.

I removed HoudahSpotHelper, toggled HoudahSpot's hot key preference off and on, and HoudahSpotHelper returned to Login Items.

Then I quit HoudahSpot and pressed my hot key. HoudahSpot launched and presented an empty search key. So all is well at the moment.

We'll see what happens after I Restart Mac OS X 10.6.6 (not right now).

-- Ward
0 0
Ward
I'm still experiencing no HoudahSpot shortcut unless the app is running. As before, HoudahSpotHelper is in my Login Items, but there's no HoudahSpotHelper process.

To verify Login Items is behaving correctly, I restarted Mac OS X. The HoudahSpotHelper process is currently running. I'm leaving Activity Monitor open to see if I can catch the process disappearing.

-- Ward
0 0
Ward
I glanced at the Activity Monitor window for a few hours yesterday afternoon, until it got overlaid or hidden.

This morning I looked again, and the HoudahSpotHelper process was gone.

I launched and quit HoudahSpot to restart the HoudahSpotHelper process.

-- Ward
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Could you please check if you find any crash report from HoudahSpotHelper?

I put the service menu entry on my todo list. The helper crashing will however also remove the global menu item and the tray. It definitely should not happen.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Ward
Application crash logs appear to be collected in the ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter folder, which has no logs for Houdah-anything.

-- Ward
0 0