Clicky

KipV
I know HS lost the ability to do email searches but I think searching Slack could be more useful. A lot of the email I get is not work related or is spam anyways. The slack messages are basically all important. Is Slack open to other search tools?
0 0
gilby
Does Slack expose its data to Spotlight?  Can you search Slack from Spotlight?  If not, you need to ask the Slack developers to do so.  HoudahSpot searches Spotlight data, it can't attempt to search proprietary data stores.

Actually I do have HS searching my emails, though it does require me to keep a synchronised copy elsewhere.
0 0
houdah
Is Slack data even available locally? I believe Slack only has access to the data when online.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
KipV
@houdah I seem to be able to access Slack content when being offline so I am not sure if it is stored locally. I thought spotlight could search online too? @gilby I don't see Slack content in Spotlight. It may be a good idea to ask the Slack developers about that. Since Spotlight predates Slack it seems like they would have thought about that back from Slack 1.0.
0 0
houdah
HoudahSpot searches the Spotlight index for files. Thus for Slack messages or discussions to be available through HoudahSpot, these would need to be available as individual files. Spotlight relies on importer plug-ins to read files and extract content and metadata. Such importers are installed with the system and with applications that introduce custom file formats. For Slack messages or discussions to be indexed by Spotlight, the Slack app (i.e. its developers) needs to provide an importer to read the message files.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
KipV
Yeah, it doesn't look like Slack currently does this. Here is a letter from them:

Thank you for reaching out. It's not possible to have Spotlight search Slack data at the moment, but this would be really handy. I'm happy to let the team know that you'd like to see this in Slack!

Thank you for sharing this suggestion with us. It's really interesting and we appreciate you taking the time to write in. We'll give it some thought.

0 0