Clicky

AtomicDoc
Hi,

I use the latest version of Aperture on OSX 10.9 (up to date). Downloaded HoudahGPS 4.0 today (have been using version 3.X for a while). I can't get HoudahGPS to tag my (RAW) master files.

I imported a bunch of photos from my camera (Fujifilm EX2) directly into Aperture, and then fired up HoudahGPS. Selected three projects (one by one - would be nice to just select all projects and drag them over), and adjusted the time from a photo of my Garmin etrex 20. Imported the relevant GPS track file, and processed all files. First I just notified Aperture about the changes, and GPS data and correct time seemed to have transferred. However, if I created a new version from the master, the time was set back to camera time, and GPS/positioning info lost. I then exported EXIF/XMP data, selecting only the option for "Tag masters / originals" in the upper part of the export window, and everything from altitude to timestamp in the lower part of the window. After that, I got the same result - new version from master lost the corrected time, and GPS/positioning info.

I checked back on a file that had GPS info added and time corrected by HoudaGPS 3.X. I can't remember exactly how I did it back then (in may or june of this year), but I think I imported via the Image Transfer-app, then treated the files with HoudahGPS, and then imported the corrected files to Aperture. Anyway, the result is the same - a new version from the master has the original time and no GPS data.

Does this mean that the master file is not updated? How do I achieve this? Ideally, I would like to correct the time and add GPS info in both master file and the single "version" file. 

All the best
AtomicDoc.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

After loading the images into HoudahGeo, go to the Process tab, and check the Preview and Master path in the Inspector. You can click the paths to reveal them in the Finder.

If you shoot RAW, these must be two different paths. The preview will be a JPEG created by Aperture. The master should be the original RAW file.

If the master path does not point to the RAW file, something went wrong.
Where do you store masters: within the library or in your own folder structure?
Are referenced masters in Aperture still connected?
Is the library you are working with active / current in Aperture?

BTW, tagging the version is possible by running EXIF/XMP export with the Tag Masters/Originals option unchecked. It is however of limited use. Aperture may re-create the JPEG version at any time and will overwrite changes.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
AtomicDoc
Hi Again! 

Thank you for your quick reply. 

> After loading the images into HoudahGeo, go to the Process tab, and check the Preview and Master path in the Inspector. You can click the paths to reveal them in the Finder.

If you shoot RAW, these must be two different paths. The preview will be a JPEG created by Aperture. The master should be the original RAW file.

The paths differ, the preview path is to a jpg inside my Aperture library, and the Master path is to the .RAF file. 

> If the master path does not point to the RAW file, something went wrong.
Where do you store masters: within the library or in your own folder structure?
Are referenced masters in Aperture still connected?
Is the library you are working with active / current in Aperture?

I have Aperture manage my pictures, so originals are stored in ~/Pictures/Aperture Masters/[Year]/[Month]/[filename].
I do not have referenced files.
I only have one Aperture library, so yes, it is current and active.

If I reveal the master file in the Finder, and then open it in Preview, the EXIF info I can find in the file info windows actually shows the GPS coordinates, and the "original date and time" EXIF info is the time after correction with HoudahGEO, while "digitized date and time" is the time from the camera (two minutes later, actually, but I suppose this kind of strangeness doesn't bother OSX). So it appears that this info actually is written to the original. Still, new versions lose GPS info. Maybe this could be an Aperture problem instead of a HoudahGPS problem?

Quitting and restarting Aperture doesn't change anything. I tried updating a corrected photo from the original, that version didn't seem to change, and GPS and correct time was retained. I have Aperture running while I tag the photos, is that ok? 

All the best
AtomicDoc
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I am not sure where Aperture gets data from when creating a new version. It could get it from the master image or from its database. If you tag the master and notify Aperture, the GPS coordinates should be in both places.

You should be able to right-click a version in Aperture and select "Update from Original". That should pick up the new metadata. You can do that instead of having HoudahGeo notify Aperture.

The two minutes difference are probably the result of applying time zone and clock error during EXIF/XMP export.

It is fine to have Aperture running while tagging. Actually "Notify iPhoto/Aperture" will start Aperture if it is not already running.

Do I understand this correctly:
- the actual RAW file is tagged
- notifying Aperture from HoudahGeo updates the existing version
- a new version fails to pick up tags from the RAW file

Have you tried "Update from Original" on the new version

Have you tried creating a copy of the tagged raw and importing that into Aperture. Aperture should pick up the GPS tags.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

I just ran a few tests.

Aperture's "New Version from Original" fails to read GPS tags from the original. I have to "Update from Original" for it to pick up the metadata.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
AtomicDoc
Hi,

> Do I understand this correctly:
- the actual RAW file is tagged
- notifying Aperture from HoudahGeo updates the existing version
- a new version fails to pick up tags from the RAW file

That seems to be correct. 

> Have you tried "Update from Original" on the new version

That works! But new versions still lose GPS info and corrected time, so I must repeat the "Update from Original" every time I create a new version. That is a minor problem, really.

> Have you tried creating a copy of the tagged raw and importing that into Aperture. Aperture should pick up the GPS tags.

It does! In addition, when creating a new version from this file, the correct time and GPS coordinates appear in the new copy.

So it appears that a file tagged before importing works the way I expect it to, but a file tagged after import fails to transfer the GPS data to new versions. Maybe the GPS data is stored differently in the two files - I don't know anything of the technicalities of how Aperture stores its metadata.

[Edit:] I switched to HoudahGPS and clicked "Notify iPhoto/Aperture", just to be sure, but no change - new version still without GPS info.

All the best
AtomicDoc.
0 0
AtomicDoc
Hi, and thank you for your help.

I missed your post #5 before I added my last reply. So this is a problem with Aperture, then. Will have to wait for the upcoming Photos app, and hope that behaves better.

Thank you for your excellent program, it makes geotagging a breeze, way better than the cumbersome interface in Aperture. Your support also appears to be great! 

Maybe I can add two feature requests at the end:
- make it possible to select several projects and drag them into the Images area
- add an option in the "export EXIF/XMP"-dialog to notify iPhoto/Aperture after the export

All the best
AtomicDoc.
0 0