Clicky

msbc
I'd like to make a couple of suggestions regarding XMP sidecars generated by HoudahGeo:
1. Only write the tags specified in 'Write EXIF Tags' dialog - at present I see a lot more tags like
<exif:ApertureValue>32993/3941</exif:ApertureValue>
<exif:ColorSpace>4294967295</exif:ColorSpace>
<exif:Contrast>2</exif:Contrast>
<exif:CustomRendered>0</exif:CustomRendered>
etc, etc

and many more ...

2. Reverse GeoCoding sets <photoshop:City> and <photoshop:Country> tags. Can this be changed to the more usual IPTC:City, IPTC:State, IPTC:Country and IPTC:ISOCountry

Thanks,
Mark
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thanks for your interest in HoudahGeo.

1. HoudahGeo writes only the tags you specify. It does however preserve existing tags. If you ask for HoudahGeo to create the XMP file, it will start by copying values from the image file to the newly created sidecar.

2. HoudahGeo writes the IPTC:City and IPTC:Country tags. With the next update, HoudahGeo will also write the IPTC:State tag. The photoshop tags may be set as a side-effect of this.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
msbc
Hi Pierre,

1. - yes, I should have been clearer. These are existing tags already in the image file being copied to the XMP, not new tags.

That does not make sense to me - why duplicate the image tags in the XMP. This creates conflicts in other apps as to which tag is the desired one - the image version or the xmp version. I believe the XMP should only have additional tags not already in the image.

2. The photoshop tags seem to get created as a side-effect of the exiftool command being used e.g. (example portion from Console log)
-iptc:country-PrimaryLocationName=United Kingdom -xmp:country=United Kingdom -iptc:city=Achallader, Scotland -xmp:city=Achallader, Scotland

Maybe because it repeats country value with -iptc:country and -xmp:country? Should only one of these parameters be used i.e -iptc:country?

0 0
houdah
Hi!

1. Which application has problem with this set-up? It is my understanding that XMP sidecars take precedence over XMP tags within the image file.

As a workaround, you may create the XMP sidecars before letting HoudahGeo write XMP tags. HoudahGeo will honor the existing file.

2. EXIFtool indeed does propagate values to compatible tags. I actually see no harm in this information being duplicated to photoshop tags.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
houdah
Hi Mark!

I am currently reworking XMP support for HoudahGeo 2.0 (free upgrade).

Do you have any definitive documentation on XMP sidecars? I begin to wonder what the best practice is when creating the sidecar: start empty or copy over from the image.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
msbc
Hi Pierre,

I can't give you any pointers to documentation on this. But I can give you my thoughts based on 20+ years as an IT Data Architect working with content management and DAM systems.

The sidecar should only contain new or updated values. The sidecar acts as an override to info already present in the image (EXIF and IPTC). So info already in the image should not be copied to the sidecar.

This minimizes conflicts due to updating image tags directly (e.g. using exiftool) and having old values in a sidecar.

Regards,
Mark
0 0