Clicky

Leprish
The recently introduced feature whereby geocoding information is written to XMP sidecar is very welcome. However, it is not functioning correctly at present (just tried build 1.3.1 with no improvement).

At present I can see two problems, bit of which significantly reduce the utility of XMP sidecar:

1. The camera embedded lens data is stripped from the file and replaced with generic info e.g. a Canon EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM is denoted 24.0 - 70.0mm

2. Spurious data for sharpness is being added to the sidecar, even when the camera has been left at default 0 for all image settings.

Both problems are clearly visible in Adobe Bridge

With CR2 type files issue 1 can be corrected using BBedit search and replace, but this should not be necessary. However, the same workaround cannot be applied to DNG as it will alter the error checking.

Camera is Canon EOS 5D

Image and gpx file can be forwarded if required.
0 0
Leprish
add the following:

3. Camera Raw Settings are being embedded into XMP sidecar, which results in a Develop badge being appended the thumbnail. This NameSet should not be applied by HoudahGeo

<rdfescription rdf:about=''
xmlns:crs='http://ns.adobe.com/camera-raw-settings/1.0/'>
<crs:ToneCurve>
<rdf:Seq>
<rdf:li>Standard</rdf:li>
</rdf:Seq>
</crs:ToneCurve>
</rdfescription>
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thanks for the feedback.

One known limitation in the current XMP implementation is that the XMP is recreated from the image file at export time. Future versions will try to reuse the existing XMP sidecar.

None of the change you describe happen intentionally. They may be an effect of the above described limitation. This may also be a side-effect of using exiftool for writing XMP.

Please help me understand the exact issue. I.e. mail me a sample image to the support.houdahgeo [at] houdah.com and explain the difference between the desired and the actual result.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
richarch

I am unable to write any tags with the XMP option selected during EXIF write. I receive an error for each file, stating that tags could not be written. Deselecting XMP during the write allows the software to successfully write EXIF data.
0 0
houdah
@richarch

Could you please check /Applications/Utilities/Console.app for any error messages?

Could it be that the directory where the image files reside is read-only?
Could it be that an XMP file already exist and cannot be overwritten?
Are your files in a photo library (iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom)?
Have you tried unchecking "work on originals"?

Please submit a detailed problem description along with a sample image to support.houdahgeo [at] houdah.com

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Leprish
>None of the change you describe happen intentionally. They may be an effect of the above described limitation. This may also be a side-effect of using exiftool for writing XMP.

That may be so, especially since writing the geo coordinates directly to the original file and not allowing the XMP sidecar to be created results in the correct info being written to the file and no removal of existing.

I'll send you a GPX file, CR2 file and XMP sidecar
0 0