Clicky

robgendreau
Any changes for HoudahSpot coming in Yosemite? I've been using the beta and HoudahSpot seems to work OK so far. The native Spotlight search is MUCH better than it used to be. But it is really slow on my iMac. Not sure why yet.

I also like that you can now tag more easily in Finder windows.

But HoudahSpot still has more features, although I'd like to see a preview pane as in the new Spotlight (you can keep a separate window open in HoudahSpot, but I like a split pane better). Spotlight's preview doesn't size very well either.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Initial tests show that HoudahSpot works fine under Yosemite.
There are a few visual glitches that need to be corrected when Yosemite gets closer to being released.

HoudahSpot will get updates and new features. A split-pane Spotlight preview is planned. But I cannot make any promises yet.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
robgendreau
Great! Look forward to it.
0 0
KipV
Pierre can you explain more in depth what you mean by split paned spotlight preview? Do you mean something similar to the new Yosemite spotlight window?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I meant: Quick Look. I plan to add a preview to the right of search results. In the same window.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
KipV
That would be useful.
0 0
Bordwehr
HoudahSpot is incredibly heavy on CPU on OS X 10.10, more so than any other application I've tried.

(This is on a Mid 2014 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM.)
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I don't see any problem with CPU usage on Yosemite here. CPU drops to 0% once a search is completed.

Can you tie excessive CPU usage to any particular action in HoudahSpot?

Could you try the following while HoudahSpot is unexpectedly busy:
- Open /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app
- Select HoudahSpot
- Select Sample Process from the View menu
- Post the report that is generated

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
Bordwehr
I was searching the Library > Application Support for files and folders created before 2009 with no limit on the number of search results. I just tried again and the same thing happened.

A sample is attached.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The sample shows HoudahSpot updating search results.
Was this during the initial phase of the search or later when the search was completed?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
Bordwehr
It was taken more or less in the middle of the search.
0 0
Dieringer
Using HoudahSpot 3.9,4 and Yosemite DP GM 3.0

Finding folders based on the number of files w/in finally works again - had been broken for a long time.

BUT a query for folders based on a label = red (or any other color) doesn't work.  Nothing found. 

Oddly, greater than none returns all labeled folders. Only the equal to doesn't seem to work.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Searching by label was partially broken by Mavericks. With the introduction of file tags, a single file may have several colors. Yet the system can handle at most one label per file.

I will check if Yosemite has further broken file labels. Search by file label will probably have to be removed. You can search by Mavericks/Finder tags instead.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
Dieringer
Changing the search to 'Keyword and Tags' and putting the color in works. I need re-work my queries...

Thanks!

And BTW, the label search by color worked for me under Mavericks, and yeah, the label/tags thing is very confused these days
0 0
Dieringer
Forgot one other thing. Searching for a _file_ by label color still works. That's why I was confused as to why it didn't work with folders.
0 0
houdah
For files, Mavericks seems to set the most recent tag as label / color. Still have to check Yosemite

0 0
gloubibou
There is indeed a problem with Spotlight when searching for folders by file label.

E.g. this command in Terminal only finds files. Not folders:

mdfind -onlyin ~/Downloads/ "kMDItemFSLabel == 7"

0 0
chazzo
A reminder to anyone having trouble with HS in Yosemite: try rebuilding the Spotlight index. I have just upgraded from Mavericks and found that my ~/Library/Preferences folder wasn't indexed. Possibly other folders were missed too.

I originally thought this was a problem with HS and posted a couple of messages that I will now delete. Apologies for the wasted bandwidth.
0 0
grumpymonkey
Version 3.9.5 (8922)

(1) Crashing when I try to search in one folder. I sent in a crash log. It was one version prior to this one, but the same problem.

(2) Scrolling is jerky and no longer smooth, especially with a large number of search results. It seems to occur when I scroll up, but not when I scroll down. Maybe this is an Apple problem. I don't know. But, it doesn't happen with other apps.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems.

I just had a look at the crash log. Unfortunately it is inconclusive. It tells me a background thread crashed over a memory management problem. No HoudahSpot code is directly involved in the crash. This is not to say HoudahSpot is not at fault. It probably is. But the mistake happened earlier and only becomes fatal in a later clean-up.

Is there any particular action that always precedes the crash? E.g. closing a window.

Did you have any preview or inspector windows open when HoudahSpot crashed?

Which columns does your search show?

Are you using the "Total Size" column? This value is not stored by Spotlight or the file system. This is computed by HoudahSpot as the sum of all folder contents. This takes some time and effort.

HoudahSpot 3.9.5 should do a better job than 3.9.4 at loading and caching values for the columns. Scrolling should be smother on 3.9.5 than on 3.9.4.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
grumpymonkey
Dear Pierre,

Thank you so much for responding. I just emailed a more detailed report per your instructions. As for these questions:

Is there any particular action that always precedes the crash? E.g. closing a window.
(1) Nope. Every time I try to use HoudahSpot it happens.

Did you have any preview or inspector windows open when HoudahSpot crashed?
(2) Nope.

Which columns does your search show?
(3) I'll send a screen shot and explain step-by-step what I am doing.

Are you using the "Total Size" column? This value is not stored by Spotlight or the file system. This is computed by HoudahSpot as the sum of all folder contents. This takes some time and effort.
(4) Nope. But, that is good to know.

HoudahSpot 3.9.5 should do a better job than 3.9.4 at loading and caching values for the columns. Scrolling should be smother on 3.9.5 than on 3.9.4.
(5) I thought it would do better as well. But, for some reason, I have trouble scrolling with the trackpad using my Macbook Pro. 
0 0
DeepYogurt
Playing around with Yosemite to see what works and doesn't work for me, and in HoudahSpot 3.9.5, I searched all disks for names ending in .app and the results sometimes shows the ".app" and sometimes doesn't in the "Display Name" column. Here is a screenshot showing what I mean:

HoudahSpot.png 

Any idea why or how to make the extension always appear? What are the Yosemite known issues with HoudahSpot? Is there some sort of defaults like "ShowAllExtensions" that could/should be set for HoudahSpot? In fact do you have a list of the possible defaults that HoudahSpot will respond to?

Thanks again...

0 0
houdah
Hi!

The display name is set by the OS. There is a "Show all extensions" setting in Finder, but Spotlight indexing dies not seem to follow that. I don't know if there is any hidden OS setting that would force the display of file extensions.

In HoudahSpot you can enable the Filename column in addition to the Display Name column.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
DeepYogurt
Using the "Filename" worked perfectly. I had set the Finder Preferences to show all filename extensions and am used to seeing them in Finder windows. Guess SpotLight doesn't pay attention to it, but it seems weird that sometimes they show up and sometimes not in the "Display Name" column, but now that I know to use the Filename that shouldn't matter.

I read on a website that mentioned this and they said it might be because part of the Spotlight database was created before I had set the Finder preferences to show all filename extensions and part was created after I had set it. Perhaps rebuilding the Spotlight indexes completely will fix this. I will do that and see if it makes any difference and let you know if it does. To force a rebuild of the index all that needs to be done is to add the volume to the Privacy pane of Spotlight System Preference and then remove it again. This will take a while I'm sure, since there is a lot of files to reindex.

Thanks again for the tip about using filenames instead of displaynames.

0 0